Review by Psycho Penguin

"A lifelike simulation of World War 2, and one of the best FPS's to date!"

Wow. When I first heard of this new First Person Shooter named Medal of Honor coming out, I dismissed it as yet another sorry excuse for a Goldeneye clone. And I wasn't a big fan of any particular FPS's besides Goldeneye 007 so the game didn't seem that interesting to me. But then all the video game review magazines starting giving it high scores, and I heard nothing but good things about the game. So then I decided to put it on my birthday list and I got it for my birthday instead of SaGa Frontier 2. Was it worth it? Oh yeah!! I actually like this game quite more than Syphon Filter and Tomorrow Never Dies, and like it a little more than even Goldeneye 007!! The game is really that good and belongs in every Playstation gamers collection. Definetly my favorite first person shooter of all time, as well as one of my favorite playstation games of all time.

Graphics (9.5/10)

The game's graphics are really well done and look comparable to Goldeneye in terms of pushing their respective systems to the limits. The enemies look just like Nazis and are very realistic and lifelike, especially when viewed up close. The backgrounds have this early 20-th century Germany feel to them, which is a good thing. As a matter of fact, the graphics in the game have an atmosphere to the game that makes you feel like you're right in the middle of World War 2.

Everywhere you go you see Nazi memorabila, such as a flag flying and even going as far as to engraving a little Nazi symbol on a wall. Its this attention to detail that makes Medal of Honor one of the best looking Playstation games to date. Unfortunately the graphics do suffer from minor glitches such as clipping and other polygon-related stuff, like a charcater running through a wall, but otherwise the graphics in the game have a very realistic and atmospheric 1942 look to them, which is perfect for a game like this.

Music/Sound (9.4/10)

The game's sounds in this game are so good that you won't believe it until you hear them. Forst the music is so bonce chillingly good and gives off a vey atmospheric feeling to the game. Its great. The music is well orchstreated and each tune has a great beat to it. Worthy of a game soundtrack being released.

The sound effects are top notch, as the sounds of guns being fired and grenades exploding are so realistic you'll feel that you're actually fighting in World War 2 along with the game!! It really is quite cool. Overall outstanding music and sound effects which show off the power of the Playstation's sound processor capabilities.

Gameplay/Control (9.6/10)

Again, this game defies all of my odds and surprises me again with realistic and fun gameplay. The control is dead on accurate, as you use the four main buttons to do everything from point your gun upwards to shooting guys to changing your weapon. The game's controls are sorta like Goldeneye's controls, but the Playstation controller seems better suited for a game like this, if you ask me. The top 4 buttons omn the controller are used for everything from ducking and crawling to auto aiming at an enemy. The control is about as good as it is going to get for a FPS game.

Now for gameplay. You control a world war 2 soldier who must go around fullfilling various missions ranging from destroying a radio transmitter to neutralizing the leader of the enemies. It really is fun. Also, the variety of missions add a lot of replay value to the game. You have a choice to save after every mission, which is a really good idea. The only thing that makes the game seem a little mortal is the fact that the mulitplayer mode isn't as fun as the one featured in Goldeneye 007 for the Nintendo 64. But really, with a game as good as this, there's no need to nitpick about small things like that.

Replay Value: Above Average

The highest replay value ever for a FPS, including Goldeneye!

Challenge: Below Average

Unfortunately the game is a little too short and easy, but the game is a decent and fun challenge nevertheless.

Good Points
-This review is not as long and tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The graphics in the game are simply awesome.
-The game is a lot like any other FPS, only a lot more fun!
-Some of the highest replay value to ever be featured in a First Person Shooter!

Not So Good Points
-The control takes a while to get used to.
-The game is a little short and easy.
-The multiplayer mode is rather disappointing.
-Loading times could get to be a pain after a while.

Overall (9.6/10)

A few flaws keep this game from getting a perfect score, but dont let that stop you from getting this wondefful FPS!!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/05/00, Updated 07/16/01