Review by zenGOSM

"Mega Man in 3D! Again!"

Mega Man has been around since the NES, and although I didn't start playing them until the Mega Man X series, I've been a huge fan of the games in general. Mega Man Legends is the 3D Mega Man series, and it has the record for fewest titles in a Mega Man series. Mega Man did not translate all game mechanics into 3D, and the differences might have something to do with the few titles. Personally, I wish Capcom would put out a third one, but at this point it doesn't look like it's going to happen. It would be nice if Capcom sent me a ServBot in consolation though.

Gameplay
Like I said, this game is Mega Man's entry into 3D, and the game works much differently than a typical Mega Man game. Your goal is to find four keys which are scattered in ruins on islands, and you have to fight off pirates on the way (the Bonnes, and some new ones). It's more of a dungeon delving adventure game than a true Mega Man game. No robot masters, but the occasional boss fight at the end of the dungeon. I like this style, but then I also enjoy playing Dungeons and Dragons on the weekends. I love a good dungeon delve. If you don't like exploring dungeons, this game's probably not for you. Personally, I prefer the first game's gameplay. The dungeons aren't as interesting, but Legends 2 has this mandatory water level, and unlike other Mega Man games, Mega Man Voulnutt can't move under water quickly to save his life.

Story
It's pretty interesting. Roll's parents went missing when she was young after an attempted excavation to this unnaturally stormy island where nobody comes back from. So now this friend of Barrel, your adopted grandfather, has built a big ship to explore the island. After that it turns out you need to help someone find some keys. All is revealed about Mega Man Voulnutt's past, and it is actually pretty interesting. I enjoyed this game's story.

Graphics
Typical PS1 3D graphics here. These are better than the first game, because not all of the dungeons are bland. Most of the side dungeons are, but not the main story dungeons. It doesn't detract too much though. The game is playable.

Sound
Everything's pretty good here, but Mega Man's voice actor is annoying. Other sounds are good, and I love the ServBots' voice actor.

Play Time/Replayability
I got through it somewhere between 15-20 hours. You can take more time than this if you want, I didn't take the time to upgrade all my weapons and I skipped one optional dungeon. Repalyability increases quite a bit after you beat the game, because you unlock new difficulty levels. I don't know why these aren't available at the beginning of the game, but they add Easy, Hard, and eventually Very Hard.

It's not a bad game, but if you just want to have a taste of the Legends series, go for the first one.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/11/08

Game Release: Mega Man Legends 2 (US, 10/24/00)