Review by OBSeSsIveGaMUr

"Comes up a little short..."

I was a big fan of the first Megaman Legends game. So I got the sequel, hoping that Capcom had improved on the original flawed (but likable) MML. There was some potential for a good game here. But suffice to say I was a wee bit disappointed.

These graphics are pretty good, they can certainly get the job done pretty well. But ''pretty well'' is the key phrase here, as Capcom improved on the style of graphics from MML, but not drastically. It frankly looked throughout the game as if they had merely wanted to do a medium job on this game. Although certainly a notch higher than the original MML, proportionally in their own individual times, these games were graphically about equal in terms relative to the competition. Decidedly middle-of-the-pack graphics, but a nice anime touch to the characters gives it a little boost.

Sound/Audio: 8/10
I have to admit, Capcom did a very good job with the voice acting. If it weren't for the small gripe I have about Megaman's voice (I SWEAR it is Sailor Jupiter) this would have been a 9 or 10. Most of the tracks in this game, while standing alone are bad, they are overall pretty atmospheric and contribute to the overall atmosphere. The tracks complement each of the individual towns/dungeons they are portraying quite well, and enhance the overall feel of the game. It is SO tough to find good voice actors these days, but Capcom appears to have found a large amount of good ones and gotten them to perform an admirable job. Before Megaman Legends 1&2 I thought good voice acting was a cruel joke. Overall superb voice acting (especially for the various pirates) and an okay soundtrack give it a 9. The addition of a really bad voice for Megaman (He's the main character you Capcom fools!) drops it down to an 8. However, gamers should still be appreciative of the job Capcom has done in the sound/audio department.

This game is quite fun to play for the first few hours and you will be no doubt intrigued by the opening levels. However, the game eventually settles into the old Action/RPG staple of exploring dungeons of various terrestrial themes (fire, ice, water, earth, you get the picture) and collecting a very special object from the innermost dungeon. Unfortunately what the folks at Capcom decided to do was have you get the object and then go back out through the dungeon again. Needless to say, trekking back through the dungeon can get pretty tedious, so that takes a point off. The dungeons are fairly well-designed and exotic, but trust me the thrill wears off pretty quick. Furthermore there really aren't many mini-games here to take you away from the drudgery of the constant dungeon exploring in this game. And the little there are, most of them are downright hard to virtually impossible. There aren't many 'sidequests' to do (the first MML actually had a few). Add to that the darn nigh impossible Class S diggers license test and you have a game that can become very boring if you're not an avid fan of the Blue Bomber. You can become downright bored when exploring some of the dungeons in this game, especially the 2nd and 3rd dungeons. Those just seemed really long to me. On a positive note, the ''bad guys'' do add some color to this game, but alas, some of the more charismatic villains are forced to take an undeserved backseat to another crook(a loser with mechanical ducks!?). His vehicles look like those from the terrible kids TV show Darkwing Duck. Capcom should have weeded out some ''filler'' bad guys because believe me it is annoying not knowing who is the main antagonist for a while (say, the better half of the game?).

My thoughts are that the story is a jumbled, fairly vague piece of mess. I happen to be somewhat of a hardcore RPGer, so my expectations might be a little higher than some, but still, Capcom can do better than this! The game starts out very interesting and my curiosity was piqued. Unfortunately, after a pretty cool 30 minutes of story, the game transcended (SIGH) into standard Action/RPG fare. Collect the (insert number and important mystical object here) from the various dungeons. There's really not much story while you are exploring the dungeons this game houses, but at the end it starts to pick up and gets relatively good. Unfortunately, most of the story that looks promising is vague, and it is not helped by predictable plot twists about Roll's parents among other things. Furthermore, this game has not answered all of the original questions the first Megaman Legends game posed in my mind, and has also added some new ones. Add to that the simple fact that the game can't blend subthemes harmoniously and thus certain events appear to be totally isolated and random. It is frustrating to see a game struggle so much with what it wants to obviously be a great story and consequently watch them flounder around like a fish out of water.

Replayability: 3/10
What? The game has no replayability for all intensive purposes. It has different difficuly levels. That's it. I can understand that some hardcore Megaman fans might really like this feature, which is why the replay got a proportionally high score for no real effort put forth by Capcom. For me though, the game has failed to grab me again since my first play-through . The nostalgia might keep some people coming back for more but I doubt it.

I don't consider story an important asset in an Action/RPG and while I love a good story most companies don't seem to care. Just look at the Action/RPG Zelda 64, which had a terribly cliche and trite story, but people still loved it. So the game didn't really get marked down for that heavily. Decent graphics and overall good voice acting and fairly good music are the high points of this game. The fact that the gameplay can get slightly tedious, coupled with a bad story and low (low,low,low,low low) replayability make this game a seven game. Be sure to rent this game first, because there are better games and even better Action/RPG's out there. All in all, I was a little disappointed as Capcom did not really appear to feel the need to improve their once promising series. They seem to be content to churn out slightly above average assembly line Action/RPG games. And that was the reason was this reviewer was frankly a bit disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/05/02, Updated 07/05/02