Review by Gigatek

"The legend is disappointing. The first game was better."

There once was a company named Capcom. Capcom created a series starring a robot named Megaman, featuring the greatness of a 2D side-scroller. After a while, Capcom decided to create a new version of Megaman, known as Megaman X. The series was another 2D platformer, and a great success.

After that, Capcom made Megaman Legends, the third spin-off series of the original Megaman. The game was a terrific 3D adventure, that was like some of the recent Zelda games.

Now, Capcom developed a sequel to the hit Megaman Legends, called Megaman Legends 2. I rented this game from Rogers Video, and unfortunately, I was disappointed. Clearly, the first game was a lot better, while its sequel could've used some more work.

GRAPHICS: 9/10

The graphics, like the first Megaman Legends, were fantastic. The characters are anime-looking, and the game's environments are simply astounding. I especially liked the cool blizzard on the Forbidden Island.

SOUND/MUSIC: 7/10

The sound effects were no different from the ones in Megaman Legends, except that there's a new voice actor for Megaman himself.

Unfortunately, this category would've been perfect except that I didn't really appreciate the music at all. This is just my opinion, but all in all, I will admit that Capcom did at least an appropriate job with the tunes.

GAMEPLAY: 5/10

This is where everything collapses. Megaman Legends 2 is a difficult game, especially when you're in running battles. The lock-on was a nice feature, and the control was as good as the first Legends game. Unfortunately, the game feels slightly more boring than the first, and most of the game feels as if you're repeating the same missions over and over again. But that's just when you're exploring ruins and dungeons. The rest was exploring towns, advancing the plot, and that sort of thing. Altogether, the gameplay was good, but some flaws of other categories effects the enjoyment of this game.

PLOT: 5/10

There IS a plot, although the storyline seems to have forgotten about the events that happened at the end of the first Legends game. As I had mentioned above, most of the plot feels like you're repeating a certain task, and that gets old quickly. The ending also leaves some questions answered, which may be the hint of another Legends game coming, but disappoints most gamers who are looking forward to the discovery of some secrets in the storyline.

DIFFICULTY: 8/10

This game isn't that hard, but sometimes enemies are pretty cheap and have high amounts of health. the worst part is when you're fighting ''running battles'', which can really frustrate you. There are difficulty modes, but I find the game a challenge even on normal mode.

REPLAY VALUE: 3/10

The game's length will keep you playing for a good amount of hours, but once you're finished, there's a low chance that you'll be going back to it again. If the game was easier, and the plot was more interesting, the game would've been better, but unfortunately, the flaws are there, so I don't bother.

WORTHY SEQUEL?

Capcom added a lot of nifty features to the sequel, such as the ability to lock on to enemies, but the game just feels like an extension to the first game, which isn't something I'd like to see.

OVERALL: 6/10

I do not hate this game, but it certainly could've been better. If expected from a different league of videogame quality, the score would've been considered an average. But coming from Capcom, and being the sequel to an excellent predecessor, Legends 2 should've been what it isn't now. I'm a bit disappointed, though I still play it sometimes.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 07/22/03, Updated 07/22/03