Review by rob29

"A must have for MGS fans, but if you're not a fan stear clear"

Metal Gear Solid: The VR Missions has many VR missions like in the original game. It has a basic training stages and fun stages like puzzle, sneaking mode and you can play as the Ninja! The main person you play as is Solid Snake. A mercenary who fought a giant robot (Metal Gear). Most stages are like Virtual reality like. A few stages take place indoors, such as a mansion.

Same gameplay as the Playstation MGS. If you like pure action shoot-em-ups only parts of this game will fully suit your needs. If you have played MGS to death, and are anxiously waiting Sons of Liberty, BUY this game. The modes include ninja, gun shooting, sneaking, time attack, and theres a photo shoot bonus mode. You can take pictures of Naomi from MGS. You can use bunch of weapons: C4 explosives, SOCOM, FAMAS, Stinger Missiles, grenades, PSG1 Sniper Rifle, and your bare hands.

Sound 7/10
Not much to score here, but the sound that the game has suits it well and does it's job. I like the music when guards are in pursuit of you. The background music is subtle but nice. All of the music is orchestra.

Story --/--
No story, it's a pure gameplay type game. If you have played MGS and know the story well you will spot some easter eggs in some of the missions.

Controls 8/10
Sometimes when you run and fire at the same time it puts a lot of stress on your thumb. Again the control is just like MGS for Playstation. The buttons are in pretty much in all the right places. Controlling the Ninja is the most fun part of the game, although I bet most people were looking forward to this the most and the developers only put in 3 stages. That just confused me. The learning curve is pretty good. Some stages are very simple and some require tons of thinking and trial and error.

Replay Value 7/10
The game will keep you busy for a good while if you don't use a guide or FAQ. Once you beat a mission a few times it's pretty repetitive. Luckily, there is a high score list. Competing for high scores can be entertaining briefly, but you'll mostly just play through your favorite levels more than once.

Positives +
Great gameplay
Fun with friends and by yourself
Great variety

Negatives -
No story...
Iffy sound
Gets repetitive

If you enjoyed MGS I can't see why you wouldn't at least have some fun with this, if you hated MGS you'd be better off with a different game. Since it's now in the bargain bins I'd recommend a purchase for those who missed it when it first came out. Have fun.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/14/01, Updated 04/18/03