Review by Nemesis

"Pretty good addition to any MGS fan's game library."

I have to say, I didn't expect very much from this game when I first heard of it. Over 300 VR missions? Three-frickin-hundred? I thought to myself, "Hmmm, 300 boring missions, one after another." Even though I thought the VR missions in the original MGS were innovative enough, and tested my espionage skills to the max, I never would have thought a separate disc containing 300+ of these missions would be any fun or challenge. Boy, was I wrong. This game is very challenging, and can get really difficult during the last levels of each mission. But it's worth it, especially if you are a hard-core MGS fan, as I am.

Graphics: (9/10)- These are basically the same as the graphics in the original VR missions in MGS. Plenty of black, blue, and greenish-blue. As always, there are no backgrounds, you're just floating on top of a "virtual island," so to speak. Every thing looks gritty, and dark, which is good for this type of game.

Sound: (9/10)- Every sound effect is outstanding, and the gunshots are very realistic. I still love the BGM, even though it's the same music as in the original MGS. If it had some kind of voice acting, the score would be higher.

Control: (9/10)- Controlling Snake, (or the Ninja in some cases), is still as easy as it was in MGS. Every button placement is exactly the same, so MGS vets will have absolutely no trouble at jumping into the game. It's still difficult to aim some weapons, (FA-MAS, Nikita, and sometimes the SOCOM), so there is some degree of frustration within VR mission's control scheme.

Gameplay: (10/10)- VR Missions' has classic MGS gameplay written all over it. It's still extremely fun to snap a guard's neck, and to place C4 on the back of a guard, (heh, heh, heh…). The VR missions never get old, and because there are so many of them, there is plenty of variety. The missions will challenge you, and keep you coming back for more. Also, playing as the Ninja kicks ass.

Replay: (7/10)- Even though there are well over 300 missions in the game, you probably won't want to play through them all. The bad part about the missions is that in order to get to the really fun stuff, you have to play through the kinda boring missions first. This annoys me, but once I got past the boring stuff, it was smooth sailing from there. It should take a while to get a 100% rating on this game, but it's all worth while.

Buy/Rent- I you think you can beat it within five days, then go ahead and just rent it. But if you're a die-hard MGS fan, (like me), then rush right out to the store and make a "solid" purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 01/13/01