Review by Child of Asuka

"This game IS replay value"

As the synopsis says, this game essentially is replay value. It has classic MGS gameplay, and is a decent length, but it is essentially a way to prolong the MGS experience. At this point, you probably have a PS2 and therefore MGS2. If you haven't played this game, I recommend playing it anyway.

Replay Value: 10
You can play all the missions as many times as you want, striving for that tiny improvement in a time record. People like me actually continue to do just that. I play each of the levels until I own all three records, then I move on to another. With all the missions (300 or more, I think, though I have never counted), you will probably not finish in a short time.

Gameplay: 8
After playing Metal Gear Solid 2, I realize exactly the problems of the original Metal Gear Solid. The game seems to be three dimensional, but the aiming is two dimensional, like Doom. There's no first person mode (except with the sniper rifle, which is far, far too easy to aim, what with the ability the shoot between a soldier's feet and kill them with a single shot) and there's a slow shot time. But basically, it retains that old Metal Gear Solid feel. Sneaking about, shooting only when it is an opportune time, and not going insane on every soldier you see.

Story: Not Applicable
It's...VR training for Snake, a special agent. You wouldn't even know that unless you played the original MGS, though. The story isn't bad, it just actually isn't there. It's nonexistent, and this really doesn't affect the game.

Sound: 4
The music is somewhat repetitive and boring, though it seems kind of futuristic and appropriate (except for the soothing feeling, which should be replaced with a more pulse-pounding atmosphere). It's a little hard to say more than that though, because I always turn the sound off and play a CD.

Overall: 7 (Not an average)
In this case, the game is actually less than the sum of its parts. I don't know how other people review this kind of thing, but 7 is good, but not great. You can play this for a while, struggling to attain records and developing new strategies, but as a general rule, a new game will take precedence over it. It doesn't hurt to give this game up.

Reviewer's Tilt: Mildly Addictive for a Niche
You have to get into this game to really enjoy it, which means you can't play it just to be the ninja for three levels or to get closer to Mei Ling and Naomi. You have to really like trying to set records (unless you play this for practicing the main game, Metal Gear Solid).

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/03, Updated 02/11/03