Review by Psycho Penguin

"This is the One action game to get on Playstation"

One was a decently hyped game when it was first announced. I remember GamePro magazine writing a great review about One and how it was the true heir to the Contra name, so it sounded good and i decided to try it out. Trust me, this ain't no Legacy of Bore. With great graphics, cool game play, and outstanding control, this is the One game to get for Contra fans.

I have never really been a huge fan of the side scrolling shooter/action genre. The only games that I have seemed to like in the genre have been the games featured in the classic Contra series. Despite the fact that I have never really gotten into them, I have still been able to tolerate a lot of them, and I am not biased against the genre or anything. Therefore, I have played a few games featured in the genre over the years. I wish I would have the chance to play more, but besides the Contra series, I have played only a couple. I would play more if given the opportunity, however.

When I got my Sony Playstation a year and a half ago, one of the games I wanted to try out was a game called Contra: Legacy of War. The reasons that I wanted to play this game were rather simple. It was the latest game in one of my favorite series, the Contra series. And despite the fact that there had been a lot of negative reviews about it, I still decided to try it out. So, I rented it, and I was definitely disappointed with the whole game. It really was a terrible game.

However, I am not reviewing that game, now am I? I just wanted to show you that the game has little competition. My friend decided to lend me this game called One shortly after I played the disaster known as Legacy of Bore. I still get nightmares about that game, by the way. I was expecting good things out of One, but I was not expecting it to be a classic game that could give the Contra series a run for its money, mainly because I figured that the game would be just another average side scroller game that is best defined as a ''total ripoff''.

I was expecting the game to be an average Contra rip off at best, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results of my gaming experience. This is one of the better Playstation games I have ever played, and it is definitely the most underrated Playstation game ever made, in my opinion. Yes, this is the most underrated game on Playstation. Not Tales of Destiny, not Tomba!, One is. Mainly because One is a fun game that never really got the credit it deserved, in my opinion. Of course, being popular doesn't mean being top quality, as is the case when it comes to *ahem* certain games.

This game features some of the best graphics I have ever seen. I really feel that the graphics in this game are top notch, even though they are not the best ever for a video game. ASC Games really did a good job on the graphics in this game. I remember the opening stage. You are bacically on this wonderfully designed buliding with these huge and well designed helicopters shooting cool looking rockets at you. The explosions are also pretty tight, as well. The graphics are phenomenal in the game. Good job, ASC.

The music in the game is standard fare, for the most part. I did enjoy the variety of music in the stages, and the title screen definitely featured some solid music. I liked most of the music in the game, although I was a little disappointed with the boss theme. It was good, sure, but I felt that it could have been done a little bit better. It just doesn't seem to fit the overall feeling of the fight, and I have heard a lot better boss themes in other games. Sound effects are pretty good, I especially liked the voice acting featured in the game.

The control in this game is outstanding, as well, but it will take you a while for you to get used to the control on the default setting. However, once you get used to the control on the default setting, it will be smooth sailing all the way. I really liked the control in the game for the most part, once I got used to it of course, because it was rather easy to do the different abilities and commands using the normal controller.

Unlike Legacy of Bore, the game play in One rocks!! The first stage is realy cool! You start off in a building and have to run through it while trying to avoid a helicopter which shoots huge rockets at you from the background. After a while, the ground starts crumbling, making for harder jumps! The later stages were cool as well, although none of the stages are as cool as the first stage. I did enjoy some of the boss fights, as well, and I feel that this is one of the coolest games ever released in the genre.

Another innovation is the Rage Meter, which replaces a Life Bar. Different colors represent different abilities. I felt that this was one of the coolest ideas ever for a video game, because a majority of the games in this genre featured simply life meters or whatnot. I felt it was time for something a bit different, and the Rage Meter is definitely something that is a bit different from your average Life Bar/Life Meter/whatever. The Rage Bar is quite a simply concept. You get attacked, your rage increases. The different color your rage meter is, the different abilities and skills you can use. Sound cool? Because it most certainly is cool!

At first, this may seem like a game that you will not want to replay very much. That is because the first couple of stages are rather simple, just your basic ''run through the stage without dying'' stuff. But after that, you will notice that the game picks up speed, and the game soon becomes a lot of fun. Granted, the first stage is very fun to play through, and a great way to open the game without a shadow of a doubt in my mind, but the later stages were even cooler and definitely contributed to the great replay value significantly.

One of the main aspects about the Contra series was the fact that the games in that series have always been known to be very challenging. So, it is common sense that you would think that One would be a challenging game, as well. And it sorta is, for the most part. The first few stages are rather simple, and the bosses are kind of simple to start off with, but that soon changes. The game becomes challenging after a while, although on a whole it never becomes as challenging as you would expect.

One is a very fun game. Hey Konami, why don't you get the people at ASC or whoever produced it to do the next Contra game? You'd be suprised to see how good it'd turn out. Seriously, this is one of the better games that I have played, and it has underrated gem written all over it. I would definitely recommend purchasing this game, especially if you are a fan of the Contra series and the whole genre in general. Because this is one of the elite games of the genre, so that makes it well worth a purchase alone.

Good Points
-This review is not as long and tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The graphics in the game are simply awesome.
-The game has underrated gem written all over it.
-It is a lot more fun to play than Legacy of Bore!

Not So Good Points
-This is not a Contra game.
-The default control setting takes a while to get used to.
-The music could have been a tad better.
-It is kind of hard to find nowadays.

I Run Down The Ratings... Da Ladies Man style!
Storyline - Not really Available
Graphics - 9.8/10
Music and Sound Effects - 8.6/10
Gameplay and Control - 9.2/10
Replay Value - A Little Above Average
Challenge - A Little Above Average
Recommended Purchae? - Oh Hell yeah!
Overall - 9.3/10
The Last Line: This game is well worth a purchase, and is the One true Contra game on Playstation.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/05/00, Updated 07/16/01