Review by final mutation

"The best of the series."

Ah, Resident Evil. The B movie you play, which isn't an insult. This game pretty much started the Survival/Horror genre as we know it. This game has every single B movie element you can think of: zombies, various high-powered weapons, oversized exotic insects, etc. Let's continue with the review.

Plot: 8/10. Sure, it's predictable, but it works. Our story begins when a special forces team known as S.T.A.R.S investigates a mansion in the forests of Raccoon City, where several murders have recently took place. The team is forced to enter the mansion (you'll see why), and try to find out why all this is happening and to eventually escape. There are many surprises, although some of them were very obvious.

Graphics: 9/10. Yes, the graphics are severely dated when compared to most recent games out there, but they were beautiful for they're time. The monster models are still rather good looking. And despite this game's age, the FMV's still manage to look very impressive. That really says something about a game that was made in 1996.

Sound: 10/10. This is where the game REALLY shines. Creepy sound effects, creepy music, this game really makes you feel like you're in a B movie. From the moaning and shuffling of a zombie, to the ominous footsteps of a giant spider, to the creepy score in almost all the rooms of the mansion, it really engrosses you into the game.

Gameplay: 10/10. Who DOESN'T want to blow up zombies' heads with high-powered weapons? This game isn't really all that varied as far as gameplay is concerned, but it works, like everything else in the game.

Control: 6/10. My only complaint with the game. It's real simple: You'll either love the game's control, or you'll hate it. Simple as that. I fall into the first category, but it's rather frustrating when you're surrounded by zombies and you have to stop to turn your character around. It may not sound like that big of a deal, but this sort of thing will lead you to several game overs.

Weapons: 10/10. This is always a factor for me in games. We've got it all: Handgun, Bazooka, Colt Python (my personal favorite), Shotgun, Flame-Thrower, Combat Knife (useless), and the holy Rocket Launcher. I'd say that's a nice arsenal.

Gore: 10/10. This game is by far the goriest Resident Evil. Blown-up heads, limbs blown off, several buckets worth of blood, this game has enough to satisfy and gore-hound's appetite.

Replayability: 9/10. Once you've beaten the game, it's not over yet. There's another character to play as, and along with about 4 different endings, you've got yourself a ****-load of replayability.

Rent/Buy: BUY! BUY IT, DAMN YOU!

Well, that sums it up. Thank you for reading and BUY THE BLOODY GAME (no pun intended) ALREADY!!!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/05/02, Updated 05/05/02