Review by Larcen Tyler

"Somebody get this guy a new cable provider!"

Why am I out of breath, you ask? He's after me! I'm tellin' ya, he wants me to pay for his new cable provider! How do I know that? He keeps yelling 'STARZ!' Oh, he means the Special Tactics and Rescue Service, doesn't he? Well, why is he coming after me? Oh yeah, he probably doesn't know what a STARS member looks like! Well, while I'm here, I might as well give the lowdown on the third Resident Evil game in which he's coming from!

If you've played Resident Evil 2, you'll be glad to know that the graphics look a little bit better, and there are some new tidbits here and there, including exploding barrels, falling objects, and little bits like seeing monsters creep away just as you enter. Of course, as always, the game comes complete with a lot of blood and gore, so if you're squeamish, you'll definitely want to stay away from this kind of stuff. Of course, new additions such as characters evading enemy attacks with things such as backwards jumps or sideways rolls give a little something extra worth looking at!

Sounds: 9/10
Despite a few cheap bits here and there, the dialogue is well voiced, with a new voiceover artist for Jill Valentine, making her sound a lot better than she did in the first one. You'll get your share of suspenseful music here and there, especially when Nemesis is nearby. Once you hear him say 'STARS!' you learn to fear hearing that phrase over and over throughout the game! And yes, the weapons still have their original tone to them.

Controls: 9/10
The only quirk I have is the dodging scheme. If you press a button at the right moment, you can dodge the enemy attack, although most of the time it's usually hit-or-miss. One nice addition, though, is the ability to climb stairs without having to press a button anymore, making for newer and more advanced strategies. You can even perform a 180 degree turn allowing you to retreat almost instantaneously, especially useful when you're about to be attacked by a group of zombies. Even more useful is the ability to shoot things like barrels, pipes, and hanging objects to destroy oncoming monsters.

Another interesting thing is at certain critical points, you'll be given two options on how to handle the situation, most of which only affect that immediate situation, although some may effect what happens in the long run as well. If you don't make a decision soon enough, though, you may end up with a big problem on your hands as you have to deal with the problem yourself!

The game is divided into two halves. The first half takes place before Resident Evil 2, where Jill Valentine has resigned from STARS, and is attempting to escape from Raccoon City. However, the T-Virus has spread into the city, and now just about everyone is a hungry zombie looking for blood! In her attempt to escape, Jill meets up with former pilot Brad Vickers, who informs her that something's after them. Not long after that, we see poor Brad get killed by something that definitely puts the Tyrant to shame! It's huge and it mutters 'STARS!' It's the Nemesis, an Umbrella created monstrosity designed to eliminate the STARS for uncovering the truth behind their experiments.

Eventually, Jill runs into Carlos, a member of Umbrella's SWAT team who has been sent to find out information on what happened in Raccoon City. Not long after she meets Carlos, she's infected with the virus. After being unconscious for a few days, Jill awakens, and realizes she's infected. Carlos offers to find an antidote for her, and this is where the troubles really begin.

Replay: 10/10
With the ability to unlock hidden costumes, a mini-game which can help you earn new weapons for the regular game, and a villain that puts Mr. X from the previous game to shame, odds are you're going to be spending a few nights on this one. Just be warned that Nemesis can find you at just about any time, so make sure you aren't afraid of things that go 'STARS!' in the night!

It's not what some might call a true sequel, but it's still a great game if you ask me. If you want to know what happens to Raccoon City, then this Nemesis is definitely on your side! Speaking of which...Uh-oh, here he comes! Basically, if you want to know what happens, you've gotta play the game! Now I've gotta go!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/12/01, Updated 10/12/01