Review by Grinwald

"Not Square's best work"

Saga Frontier combined 7 different characters and plots into one tapestry of a "Master Plot" in a way. Admittedly, I rented the game after hearing only negative reviews, and, after playing it for myself, I realize that they were right. For the most part, at least.

Much like in "Xenogears" and "Star Ocean: The Second Story," among others, this game used bitmap-based graphics, which limit flexibility but clear up disc space for more gameplay. I felt that the enemies as well as the characters were well-animated, although they weren't *quite* to the standard of Squaresoft's work in general.

I felt that the gameplay of this game was fairly awkward. It takes getting used to. The battle control is awkward as well, seeing as you have to actually equip weapons if you wish to use them in battle. One redeeming feature, however, was the fact that your HP is restored after each battle.

Sound and Music: 3/10

The sounds and music of the game were really skimped on. The music was unimaginative and the sounds were sub-standard. If I could up the quality of one aspect of the game, it would be this category.

Innovation: 8/10

This game was definitely one of the most innovative I've played in some time. The multi-hero idea was very original, as was the idea of having a network of ships that carry you from city to city whenever you please.

Plot: 5/10

I give this game a 5 in plot because it seemed as if a plot was ATTEMPTED, but left unfinished. It's a very simplistic storyline for every character (I sampled the plots of each one), almost as if it were a book for children. It almost reads "And the peasant asked the prince to come with on his journey. He did, and off they went."

I felt that the graphics and innovation of this game were of fine quality, but the lack of plot left it, mostly, without substance. It works, but it's not the most stable game I've played. Also, the clumsy gameplay and the equipping of items requirement make this game less fun to play. It does, however, allow you to save at any point in the game, which you can get back to instantly through a "Quick Start" feature.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 02/20/03