Review by Last Avenger

"A good game, but the first was better"

After the first Spyro the Dragon game (which I consider to be one of the best ever) I was not so eager to buy Spyro 2. I mean, sequels are rarely as good as the first ones, so I wasn't sure what to do. One day, though, I tried it out at a local Target, and realized I had maybe misjudged it. I got it for Christmas, and after completing it I have arrived at these opinions:
GRAPHICS: 10/10
If anything, better than the original Spyro, but not by much. The enemy designs are a little better, and the textures are better done, but still they don't beat the first game by much. The water is definitely better.
MUSIC/SOUND: 9/10
What happened to Spyro's voice?! I loved that! Now he's just like some weird-sounding guy with a too casual air. Nothing like the original Spyro at all. Besides that, though, the music and sound is good. I really think the music wasn't as good in this one, but it's a matter of opinion.
STORY: 8/10
Similar to the first, but now it clamps down more firmly on the linear side and adds a little preview in the beginning. Still, in essence it's the same. Save the world from the bad guys. That's really all there is to it, and there aren't really any twists and turns.
GAMEPLAY: 9/10
This wasn't quite as good as the first, though it did have its advantages. The same concept is present, except for now instead of getting dragons, you do mini-games and side challenges to win these little orbs. Once you have a certain amount, you can go to different places. Most of the orbs are hidden and some can be very difficult (Breeze Harbor Gear challenge-arrrggghhh) but in the end it allows you to fight the boss and win the special award at the end (which, by the way, I won't reveal.)
I also miss the gems the enemies drop when you defeat them. Now they have some sort of Spirit Particle to activate power-ups. Boring. The power-ups (especially the fireballs) are cool, but I wish there was more with supercharging, that was really fun in the first. The challenges are okay, but a tad on the hard side, and I had even beaten the first!
The bosses are tougher too, but not overly so.
CHALLENGE: 8/10
Sometimes it's too easy, other times too hard. It varies widely, and that isn't at all like the first, which was pretty well balanced throughout the whole game. However, once you know what you have to do, it's much easier. Swimming is hard to control, but you should be able to get used to it. The bosses were hard at first (with the exception of the first one) but otherwise weren't too bad.
REPLAY VALUE: 9/10
The one definite advantage over the first. Once you beat the game (and get the ''bad'' ending) you can get Skill Points by doing special things. However, they're extremely difficult to find and accomplish, and you only have the level as a guide. Some of them are fairly obvious (blowing every specific side clutter) or harder to find (gliding on a certain spot.) Okay. Once you get enough, you see an Epilogue (amusing but otherwise pointless) and once you have all of them you get to see ''extinct'' creatures which were drawn but not used in the game. Again, amusing but pointless.
OVERALL: 9/10
This is still a very good game, but it lacks some of the original Spyro's style. I would get it because it's certainly good, but I personally prefer Spyro 1. You do what you want.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/07/01, Updated 02/07/01