Review by hero of time 43

"A game worthy of any platform lover."

My latest video game purchase was a Playstation One and a copy of Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! Fading out of existence like so many systems before it, I knew if I was going to ever drop the title of ''Fanboy'' that I might as well do it now. The fact that the total cost was less than $100 helped too.

Spyro and his partner Sparx are looking forward to a well deserved vacation at Dragon Shores. But before the two can begin to recuperate from the battle with Gnasty Gnorc, they are transported to the world of Avalar, where the game takes place.

Ripto has taken control of the World of Avalar, and Hunter the Cheetah, Elora, and the Professor have decided that it would be best to have a dragon save the day. Before Spyro can say a word, the portal through which Spyro came is destroyed by Ripto, trapping you in Avalar.

A big adventure for Spyro lies ahead, but he's not alone. Elora often has something useful to say, Hunter is always teaching you new stunts, Zoe temporarily saves your game, the Professor will usually have some kind of puzzle for you to solve, and MoneyBags is always willing to help you out...for a small fee.

With so many allies, weak enemies, and not that many levels, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage is a fairly easy game. However, if you try to get 100% instead of bare minimum, the Difficulty goes up a few notches. The play time for the game is probably around 3-5 hours for bare minimum, and 5-11 or so if you're trying to get everything.

Graphics-wise, this game has exceptional graphics, and almost stands up to the standards of newer games for the Playstation 2, Gamecube, and Xbox. I think the characters look a little...blocky, but maybe Elora is supposed to be really buff or something....

Basically, the voice acting is well done. But, whenever Hunter talks, I mute the thing. He has this really heavy accent that automatically puts him under the ''Surfer Dude'' category.

If you go through the game not caring about getting 100%, then there's a fair amount of treasure hunting for you to do. If you beat the game with 100% the first time, you'll still want to play again, because of a certain little 100% bonus.

Now on to quite possibly the most important part of any game, the Controls. Early in the game, several characters mention climbing, and I was worried that when I finally acquired this new power-up, it would be a chore. Thankfully it's not, you simply jump up to the ladder and move. For the first time in a game, I liked swimming. Most games I've played, the character swam like a human being. But Spyro's a bullet in the water, if you mash the Square button.

Possible Scores:

Replay: 12
Controls: 27

Score: 88/100

GameFaqs Score: 8.8/10

A fanboy I no longer be!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/23/03, Updated 01/23/03