Review by Zill42

"Extremely Fun, slightly cheesy game!"

I just recently beat the game Spyro the Dragon 2: Riptos Rage, and I loved every moment of it! With the first spyro the dragon being only mediocre, I was expecting the second game to be more of the same. But I was pleasently suprised, spyro 2 improved on almost every area that I didn't like in the first game. The game is extremly fun to play, although some charecters in the story are pretty cheesy.Heres how I broke down my review:

Graphics:9/10
Wow! Thats the only word I can think of to describe these graphics. The backgrounds and cut scences look amazing, even if they are a little cartoonish.

Story Line: 6/10
As our heroes Spyro and Sparx prepare to go on a vacation to Dragon Shores, they are pulled into another world by a professer, a goat woman, and a tiger. He is asked to help defeat the evil Ripto who is taking over the world of Avalar. To defeat the evil Ripto, Spyro must travel to different worlds collecting a relics from each world. While this IS an original story, I really think they could have done a better job with this. In my opinion, the storyline is the weakest point of the game.

Controls: 10/10
No complaints here. The controls are perfectly responsive.

Difficulty: 10/10
At a glance, Spyro 2 seems like a pretty easy game. I mean you go to 27 different worlds collecting a relic from each world by completing a simple enough task. You fight a boss or two, then you have a final showdown with Ripto. Not to hard, right? If all you wanted to do was collect all the relics and beat the game, it would take like three hours. But what makes Spyro 2 such a great game is how in each level there are orbs, gems, and skill points to collect, which makes the game much funner, and to beat the game with 100% would take a couple weeks (atleast thats how long it took me). ANother great thing about the game is the puzzles are hard enough to keep you playing, but not so hard that you will throw your remote across the living room floor in Frustration.

Sound/Sound Effects: 10/10
The music is catchy and not adds a nice atmosphere to the levels.The sound effects are excellent.

Fun Factor: 1000/10
Need I say more?

Replayibility: 9999999999/10
If you beat the game with 100% you get a little bonus ability that makes you want to beat the game again and again and again....

Overal Score: 10/10
I payed $45.99 (plus tax) for the playstation game Spyro the Dragon 2:Riptos Rage. It is worth every penny and is an instant classic and a must have for a spyro fan, and the playstation owner in general :)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/00, Updated 01/22/00