Review by SDJaY

"An excellent platform game for all ages"

When I first saw this game advertised, I thought it was just a little kiddie game that would never be good enough to sell anything and will die right away. I was wrong though, I tried the game, and I liked it. As repetitive as it is, it's really fun and should be tried out for everyone who like other platform games for the Playstation like Crash Bandicoot.

Visuals: 10/TeN- The graphics in this game are very great. Spyro looks like a real dragon, and all the worlds and levels in this game look good. This is probably one of the best looking Platforms in the game. The enemies look pretty good also, although some look blocky and deformed. That's okay though, they still look great.

Sounds: 9/TeN- The sounds look great. When you release all the dragons, they talk in some weird accent. Some of the dragons sound the same than some of the others, and they also say the same things. But some of them give you huge hints on the game if you didn't read the instuctions or rented it and you can't have the instuctions with you. The sound effects are good also. From Spyro's flame to the sound of getting the gems, it's good. The music is better though. Its happy tune beats are good enough for me to turn the TV a little bit louder than I have to. But some of the music arent that happy, some are kinda slow and sad kindof, but all the other songs are great. I like the songs in the Magic Crafters World.

Gameplay: 9.9/TeN- Almost perfect. You start out in the world of Artisans. The object of the game is to capture all the dragons trapped in crystal. What you also have to do is get all the gyms in all the levels located in the world. One more thing you have to do is get all the dragon eggs stolen by a theif. Getting the eggs are a chore though. You have to chase him around and burn him or tackle him if you're close enough. Although that sounds so boring and repetitive, you don't know how fun it is to get all the gems. At first it gets very easy, but as you get to the later levels, it gets very hard and frustrating to figure it out to where the rest of the gems are. Although hard and frustrating, it still feels fun to get all the gems and kill all those enemies and ride and fly around. Although the concept of collecting gems, rescuing dragons, and getting dragon eggs in repetetive, the levels are not. Each level has its own unique way of playing. There are even special levels where you don't kill any enemies at all, but fly around and collect stuff in a certain number of time. You get gems on what you collected. The only reason why I didnt give this game a 10 was the camera. Even though it is switched to active, I still had trouble. But it was the only trouble I had in this game. The gameplay is fantastic.

Control: 9/TeN- Like above, the only problem was controlling the camera. Sometimes the camera faces Spyro, causing you to not see anything in front of you, just behind you. Other than that, I had no problems in the control as in the controller.

Replay: 7/TeN- Although getting all the dragons, eggs, and gems takes a while, one time is usually enough. The only thing I think will bring me back a second time is playing those flying levels. Those were really fun. You can try to beat your record time or something. Other than that, that's really it. I wouldn't want to get all those things again.

If you rent this game and play it a lot, you might have a chance to beat the game during the renting period. I rented it and beat it in 2 renting periods because I didn't play it as much as I should have. If I could go back, I would have bought it. But if you're just looking for a game to rent, this should be on your list. If you're a die-hard Crash Bandicoot fan, then I would buy this game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/17/00, Updated 01/13/01