Review by redbuck

"Spyro the Dragon: Personally, I'd call it a classic!"

Hello again. Whether you're here to see if this game is any good, want a second third fourth etc. opinion, or whatever other reason, you want a review. Well, I gave this a 10/10. Why? You want the truth?! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! No seriously, I'll tell you why I absolutely love this game.

GRAPHICS: Seeing as this is one of the earlier PlayStation titles, the graphics aren't all that great. However, they're not bad either. It's obvious that Spyro is a purple dragon, what color all the others are, what everything's supposed to be, and so on. The most I can ever say about graphics and/or sound is to watch a video of some gameplay and look at some pictures in the Pics section of this site.

SOUND: The sound is pretty good. When you attack someone, they scream yell complain and so on. The fire Spyro shoots from his mouth is very audible, and when something burns, it still sounds like fire. If you charge at a basket, it sounds like a basket busting apart. There are vases in the game which sound like clay, glass, porcelin, or whatever they're made of breaking when they're charged. The music is very memorable. I've played this game multiple times over the years, and I still remember the music from the first level, and get tempted to hum it from time to time.

STORY: Without trying to ruin much, I'll just say that you're obviously a dragon named Spyro. He's the youngest dragon in the game, but is also the hero. In the beginning, there's a news broadcast with dragons speaking about how they feel about the main antagonist 'Gnasty Gnorc' (the G is silent in both words). Yes, a news broadcast. Anyway, somehow, he hears them from his own world, and casts a spell to encase every last dragon in crystal... all but one dragon, anyway. He also steals all the dragons' gems and transforms them into his own minions. Your goal is to retrieve every last gem, and free every last dragon from their crystal casing, and some other things throughout the game, but that, you'll have to find out on your own. Pretty good storyline, wouldn't you say? I would.

GAMEPLAY: If you've ever played any of the first three Crash Bandicoot games, then you'll know what to somewhat expect from this. The controls are very simple. Jump with X, charge with square, flame with circle, and if you're gliding (jump, then press x again), you can also drop at any time should you happen to start going too far by pressing the triangle button. You move with either the D-Pad or the analog stick, whichever you so choose. Throughout the game, there are different challenges you must face, as with many other games, so the controls may change from time to time depending on what you're doing, such as the flying levels which allow you to fly throughout the entire level, flying through rings, flaming down airplanes or blowing up trains, flaming treasure chests, and so on.

OVERALL: What would I say to someone who asked me if they should buy or rent this game? Definitely buy it. It's not a necessarily LONG game, but it's not short, either. Aside from the length, you'll likely want to play it multiple times through. I know I did. The graphics are decent, the sound effects are distinguishable, the music is not only memorable but hummable (is that even a word?), I find the story fairly interesting, and the gameplay is simple enough for anyone to play, but still give joy to even the most hardcore gamers. So, go out and get this game from a used-game store, buy it from the internet, get it from PlayStation Network (if it has this game anyway), and play it. I'd also recommend the second and third games, Spryo: Ripto's Rage and Spyro: Year of the Dragon, in that order.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/10

Game Release: Spyro the Dragon (US, 09/10/98)

Would you recommend this