Review by Psycho Penguin

"Well, its good. But the evolution of the series should not have led to this."

The Street Fighter series sure has had a lot of games, eh? Who would have thought that a lowly NES game called Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight (okay so maybe Street Fighter 2) would have started this huge craze? The problem with the series has always been innovation, or shall I say, lack of innovation. Most of the sequels have had little additions, with the exception of only a few (SFA and SFA3, for instance). But in between these two innovative games lay Street Fighter Alpha 2. With a great prequel, and a great sequel, how would the game measure up? Well its good, but the continuing evolution of the Street Fighter series seemed to hit a brick wall with this game, in my opinion. Thankfully Street Fighter Alpha 3 kicked so much butt that I forgot all about this game :)

Graphics (8.3/10): The Street Fighter series has always been one of the best in terms of pure 2D graphics. Street Fighter Alpha had some pretty good graphics, but Street Fighter Alpha 2 expanded on these graphics by adding lots of visual eye effects, ranging from great backgrounds to some good charcater designs. The backgrounds are very well designed, and the game's charcater models are very well done. Overall good graphics.

Gameplay/Control (7.2/10): The thing I will remember most about Street Fighter Alpha 2 is that it really did not add any innovations to previous games in the series, but Street Fighter Alpha 3 added a lot. This kind of makes Street Fighter Alpha 2 the ''sad child'' of the series. Sure its very good. But its just not as good as it could have been.

Replay Value: Medium
Challenge: Medium

Overall (7.3/10): A good fighting game and worth a purchase just because its good. But the other two games in the series are better.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/18/00, Updated 07/16/01