Review by wolverinefan

"An instant classic than no rpger should miss out on"

Welcome home Suikoden II. You're the title I never saw in a store ever and it was released when I was heavy into the PS1 RPG scene. I've actually played the entire series thus far and this was my coup de grace to the series if you will.

What started off as a simple rpg of war, betrayal and leadership turned into something almost as epic and Final Fantasy Tactics. The characters aren't quite fleshed out as much but most of them are very likable which is a must and with a cast so large (108) it's rather amazing.

When I booted this bad boy up I was instantly surprised by the graphics. While obviously dated they still looked damn good (I was playing on my PS3 for the record). The sprites are nice and large and have a fair share of detail to them. The battle scenes are nicely done and enemies look good. Locations look great and the only down side of it all is that the world map feels a bit flat and lifeless.

The battle system is fairly typical of almost any JRPG. Random battles happen in dungeons and the world map. Within battle you have up to four guys on your side. You can attack, use an item, use a rune (spell) or unite to do one kick butt attack. It all depends on the situation at hand and while you'll rarely screw it up it does become important in the boss fights to monitor what works best.

Besides that we also get some big war battles which is a staple of the series as well. These work fairly well and seem improved upon from the original Suikoden and not as big of a suckfest as they were in Suikoden III.

The game also has a beautiful soundtrack and coming from me that's saying something as rarely the soundtrack stays with me but every time a new song came out of my tv's speakers I just loved it. I really need to run out and but the soundtrack. Any RPG should enjoy the music, classical and yet fantasy-esq all at the same time.

The game can be beaten in as few as 20 hours but with sort of three endings and 108 characters t find the game can take you much longer. it just depends on if you used a guide or not which at a few different intervals I had to check as to where to go as the game never gave good directions. I guess I'm being spoiled by the point and click maps of todays role playing games.

Suikoden II is much treasured game by fans and rpg enthusiasts alike and there's a good reason it goes for over $100 in on-line auctions. All rpgers owe it to themselves to check out of the best titles the PS1 has to offer for the genre that isn't made by Squaresoft.

Story - 9/10
Graphics - 10/10
Sound - 10/10
Control - 9/10
Game Play - 8/10
Replay Value - 8/10

Final Score - 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/08

Game Release: Suikoden II (US, 08/31/99)