Review by friendlydude

"A budget game? Perhaps. Is it good? YES"

While the Playstation version of The World Is Not Enough has had its share of negative opinions and ratings through the years (especially when compared to the Nintendo 64 version) I find that, treating the game as just another Bond game and not comparing it to other games (such as Goldeneye) that it actually ends up being a pretty decent game overall that can stand on its own.

Of course, there's no way I can give the game a rating of 10 out of 10, because there's two problems that somewhat drag the game down. One of them being some rather bland animations from guards after they've been shot. The way they react when you're shooting at them is pretty bland and uninteresting, and they don't look very animated either. It would be like throwing a piece of cardboard way up high in the air on a real windy day, and watching it blow around. That's what the guards look like when you're shooting them.

The biggest problem however, is that the game is SO short. There's only 11 levels total. Most of them can be completed in a matter of 5 minutes. The only level that might take a long time to complete is that blackjack level, where you're required to make $100,000 in order to advance to the next stage. Sometimes this stage might take up to 30 minutes to complete. A good trick here would be to just play two games total (by betting all your money twice). Anyway, the levels are so short because the game is dominated with cutscenes crammed between the actual stages. That is what's hogging up most of the space on the disc.

The World Is Not Enough does a lot of things right. Considering we're talking about a Playstation One game here, you really can't complain about what is offered. The last time I checked, this game can be purchased for a very small amount of money. Only dollars. It's worth the price.

The graphics are surprisingly very good and detailed. You can see everything around you very clearly, and even things in the distance aren't that foggy and choppy, like plenty other Playstation One games tend to be. Very good overall. You know exactly what all the objects are.

Some people hate the fact that the music repeats a lot, but to be honest with you, I don't think that's a very accurate complaint because each level has a different theme song. I don't understand the complaints that it's just one theme playing throughout the entire game (the main Bond theme). That's not true. Each theme provides a very suspenseful and detective-like atmosphere, and it's not the same each time. This is pretty good stuff. Judging by the reviews, I was ready to hear one song playing for the entire game. I was pleasantly surprised to find that's not the case.

How's the play control? Since the game is a first-person shooter, it's important to be able to walk around and shoot whenever a lot of bad guys appear on screen. Thankfully walking around is easy as pie, thanks to a very accurate control system. It hardly ever lets me down. Sometimes I might get stuck on things and can't move (which is a popular problem with many Playstation One 3D games) but that never happens in this game. Also, you move around very quickly, which is probably why the game feels so short overall- you are basically speeding through all the areas.

Some people hate the fact that some stages have an additional mission added at the very end, and if you make a mistake and die you have to do the entire mission over again. I don't think it's a big deal at all, because again, the stages are short and sweet. It doesn't take long to reach the end of a stage.

Shooting at guards is another simple task, because you have a target system that usually immediately locks on to the nearest bad guy. It's pretty accurate and never lets me down. Many of the stages in the game require you to remember the order in which guards appear, and take them out in a certain order. Okay, it's not a requirement to take guards out in a certain order, but it will certainly make life easier for you. Also worth noting is that the bad guys in this game are pretty smart, and do a respectable job searching for you by running down stairs, opening doors, running around corners, etc.

Once you beat the game once, it's pretty easy the second time around. The only *really* hard level is the final one (Stage 11) and a bit of difficulty can be found at the end of Stage 3 (the skiing level).

In addition to shooting guards, you also have levels where you're avoiding cameras, shooting down helicopters, and shooting guards who are hiding behind crates. This all adds up to a very fun, though extremely brief, game. I can actually beat the game in one hour and 20 minutes.

I also don't get the complaint that the buttons used to scroll through weapons and items is a major hassle. Not really. Those buttons would be the Square and Triangle buttons. However, what people aren't mentioning is that hitting the Start button brings up an option where you can access any weapon or item you want right there, and doing this is so easy that it's not a problem at all. You can just forget about using the Square and Triangle buttons if you want.

I love going around punching people. That's an underrated highlight of the game. It's really fun.

Yes, other Bond games provide more entertainment, no doubt about it. BUT if you're looking for a short quality first-person shooter, there really aren't many problems with the Playstation version of The World Is Not Enough. It's worth buying if you can find it for a cheap price. Of course, Medal of Honor and Quake II provide a better gaming experience on your Playstation, so try to find those games first.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/18/07