Review by Psxmasta

"The best Tomb Raider game in the series"

Even though there have been 3 Tomb Raider games since Tomb Raider 1 and there is another on the way this is definitly the best. No, I'm not just saying that because it is the first in the series but because the gameplay is the best.

Sound- 7/10

The sound effects are average when compared to the later Tomb Raider games. Their are only about four songs that get played when you are about to be attacked, stepping into a trap, discover an ancient artifact; etc.

Graphics- 6-7/10

As for the graphics, well.... They are choppy and blocky. But hey, the scenes when you are in the jungle are pretty impresive for games of that time. Same for the temples, pyramids, caves.....etc. If I was reviewing this game when it first hit shelves I would have given the graphics a 9.

Story- 9/10

If you like Indiana Jones then you will definitly like this. You are Lara Croft, a British explorer (if you have never heard of her then I don't even know what you are doing on this website). You are sent on an expedition to recover the ancient scion (some old artifact that has lots of power) and get betrayed by, um, well, I can't tell you because that would be a spoiler. Just believe me, you'll like it.

Gameplay- 9/10

Just like an Indiana Jones movie the game is full of puzzels and ancient artifacts and at the same time you are being chased by someone(s). Some of the puzzles can really be nerve-racking. You begin the game only with compas and and a pair of pistols and later get a shotgun, magnums, and uzis. Their are lots of enimies like bats, wolves, raptors, bears, a T-Rex, and the rest I'll leave as a surprise. The level design is excellent.

To Buy or Not to Buy?

Buy. Definitly buy. It's been out awhile and you can get it for $10.

Replay Value

Hmmm. Once you beat it there won't be much else to do. If you're filthy rich you could use the disk as a frisbee and if you're not rich but still want a frisbee-disk I recommend the AOL disks they keep sending you every 2 days.

Final Score- 8

Just make me one promise. As soon as you are done reading this go to the store and buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/29/00, Updated 10/29/00