Review by Doug_

"Cheap puzzles and awkward controls"

One day, having heard great things about this game, I bought it. I have regretted it ever since. I know this game and its sequels have its legions of fans, but I never got into it. I only made it to level 3, so I'm probably not qualified to write this, but I am anyway.

My main complaint about Tomb Raider is its seeming reliance on cheap puzzles to provide difficulty to the game. In the second level, there is a place where there is a hole in the ground that you can't climb out of. In order to get out you must [can't tell you; it's a "spoiler"]. The instruction manual and the training mode don't tell you or even suggest that you can [...]; the only way to figure out how to progress in the game is to get help or get lucky. The definition of a cheap puzzle is one that doesn't give you enough information to solve it in any other way than by chance. Tomb Raider has a cheap puzzle at the very beginning, and if there's one cheap puzzle, there's probably more.

I also noticed another problem: the camera moves in a weird manner. You can't smoothly control it and look where you want to, so it's easy to miss things. Someone I know brought the game over and asked for help because he was stuck at level 9. After searching through the area several times, I finally noticed the way across the hole in the floor; since you can't turn the camera however you want, things become hard to spot.

Oh, and I think Lara Croft is ugly. I know that at least 90% of the rest of the male population would disagree with me, but I don't like her appearance in this game.

I know I only played the beginning of the game, but that was all I ever had the desire to play. If you've heard good things about the game and want to play it, you should rent it first and see if you get past the cheap puzzle in level 2. Based on my limited experience, I give Tomb Raider a 3 of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99