Review by Aristotle

"By far, the best TR game of its series."

I first heard of the Tomb Raider series from a friend, who had the original Tomb Raider for the PC. He let me borrow it, and I absolutely HATED it. For one thing, the controls were horrid, the graphics sucked, the sound and music were non-existent, and gameplay was absolutely terrible. I asked him what possessed him to like a game like Tomb Raider for the PC.

And then I got Tomb Raider for the PSX.

Was I glad I did. Not only was the framerate excellent, so nothing was amiss with the graphics, but the sound was colossal, the controls were some of the best I've ever seen, and gameplay was the best I have ever witnessed.

The Graphics: Who wouldn't love the graphics in Tomb Raider? These graphics are mainly what made the game so famous. Using strictly polygons, the geniuses at the designing room made the graphics look so lifelike that you think you are actually in the game.

The Sound and Music: I forget the music, the gameplay kept me too invloving, but I distinctly remember how fabulous the sound was. Ever little movement you made or did, there was a sound for it, a lifelike sound, too. And when Lara talks, her lips correspond with the words she is saying, a characteristic I have only seen in this game.

The Controls: These are what I love about the game. There are only about three or four buttons that are crucial to completing the game. The rest you can learn whenever you feel like it, as they don't really affect gameplay, but do help to improve gameplay.

The Gameplay: As smooth as silk, there really isn't much to say about this. The only thing that is bad about the gameplay is that the game can get real boring sometimes. I got about three-fourths of the way done with it, and then quit because it got boring. That's just about all there is to it.

The Replay Value: You can play this game for weeks at a time, as it doesn't start getting boring until about three months after you start it. It is also very long and hard, and there are minimal cheat codes so you have to play the game or else it gets really boring.

The Overall Value: I love this game, I got it for only $19.99, which is pretty much the universal price for PSX games that are more than six months old. Both beginning and expert gamers would love this game I was in between, and I loved it!

GRAPHICS: 10/10

SOUND/MUSIC: 9/10

CONTROLS: 10/10

GAMEPLAY: 9/10

REPLAY VALUE: 10/10

OVERALL: 9/10 (not an average)

The Final Thought: The only thing that brought the grade down from a ten to a nine is the fact that it can get boring, I think that gameplay and controls are really all that affect the game in a significant manner. That is my review for the original Tomb Raider.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/02/00, Updated 02/02/00