Review by Psycho Penguin

"Well, its better than the first. Not thats saying much."

Tomb Raider. The name alone still sends chills and nightmare to me at night. It is the worst Playstation game, and the third worst game, that I have ever played in my entire life. It was a very bad game, so I had little hopes for Tomb Raider 2 as well. Well as it turns out Tomb Raider 2 is a better game, but it still has a poor execution of the two most important parts of a game: control and game-play. So while Eidos did a good job in making the Tomb Raider series at least playable, it did a terrible job in making it playable enough. It is better than the original Tomb Raider, but pretty much ANY game is better than the original Tomb Raider.

Graphics (5.6/10): Well, the graphics are actually much improved over the original, but they still aren't too great. Lara overall looks a lot smoother, and the game seems to be a lot less pixelly. There is still a lot of slowdown present, and sometimes the graphics just break up completely oing from place to place.

Music/Sound (0.9/10): Again, there really isn't any good music or sound effects in any of the Tomb Raider games.

Gameplay/Control (3.1/10): I have a feeling that this game should have been Tomb Raider 1. The control is a little easier to use this time but it is still very difficult to control Lara. The gameplay is an acion adventure game where you go around solving puzzles. The game is better overall than the original but I still cannot reccomend it.

Replay Value (1.1/10): yes, it has a little bit of replay value. Not much.

Challenge (8.4/10): I actually played all the way through the game, it was a good challenge.

Overall (3.4/10): Tomb Raider 2 improves in every category over the original. Hopefully I will find Tomb raider The Last Revelation to be a good game, but i doubt it. The Tomb Raider series seems to have been doomed from the get go.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 02/29/00, Updated 07/16/01