Review by Psxmasta

"*groans* Not again!"

Unfortunatly, Tomb Raider is in dire need of changing the game a lot in the next installment (The Next Generation) for PS2 or they're just gonna have to end the series because, frankly, I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! Every game is EXACTLY the same with hardly any improvements. What's that you say? They have a few new guns? SO WHAT! If you want an example if a series that the developers went the extra mile to make the game a lot better (even though it was already great) is the Tony Hawk series. I didn't even bother to play The Last Revalation or Tomb Raider Chronicles after playing this poor excuse of a game. Well, anyways, this is why I don't like the game:

Same old, same old. Once again Lara Croft, the feminine Indiana Jones, is on some adventure to find some ancient artifact that has the power to do some magicy stuff. If she dosen't find it on time some guys that work for some big corperation will and....need I say more? Anyway, in case you were wondering, the ''some old artifact'' that she is looking for happens to be chuncks of rock that came off some asteroid that hit somewhere in Antarctica. Even though this kind of story never really gets old, you think they could use some innovation, because believe me, there's plenty of room for it!

The graphics are definitly better, but not great. Not really a whole lot to say here.

I'm really impressed! The sound is probably the only reason that this game got a six, because if it was the same as the last two games the overall score would be lower. Songs are much more frequent and no, they aren't the same four the whole game. In India, they play native tribe music in the backround which adds a nice touch. So in this game the songs accualy match the theme. The sound effects are better too, and they don't play a suspensful song for every bat like they did for the first game. Instead, they just add a little ''danger'' noise as if to say, ''Look out! You're about to smashed by a boulder!'' Also, the guns firing sounds much more realistisc than the Thud! Thud! Thud! of the pistol of the first game.

Gameplay: When you first play the game: 8/10
About half way through it: 4/10

The game starts out fun, but soon goes downhill. You start off in the middle of the jungle in India and then you go to, well, wherever you want! Unlike the first two games you now have the option of where you want to go to. These places include: Nevada, the South Pacific Islands, London, and then you must go to Antarctica. In each place you pick up another piece of the asteroid. What I don't like about this and most of the second game is the fact that there is so many people to kill. Don't get me wrong, I love shooters, but this game isn't one. From the first game you go from feeling like a lone adventurer, which is what I like, to a high-tech James Bond. I only played this game half-way through and then quit, not because I couldn't beat it, but because games are supposed to be fun. As for the weapons, they're the same except for the MP3 and the rocket launcher.

To buy, or not to buy?

Don't buy Tomb Raider 3 unless you are a diehard fan of the series, and believe me: you aren't a diehard fan of it if you are reading this review. Go ahead and buy the first, if you're still thirsty buy the second, but don't buy the third.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/30/01, Updated 01/30/01