"This Is How Action Games Are Supposed To Be"

The Unholy War was released in 1998 for the Playstation console. However this game was very overlooked, but it is a shame that so many people could over look such a great action game. This game is just as good as a game as say Super Smash Brothers Melee, and it holds up quite well on its own to. Being quite a different game from Super Smash Brothers Melee they are quite comparable, in a way, and chances are if you enjoy one, you will enjoy the other. This game focuses mostly on "Mayhem" which is multiplayer. Mayhem is where 2 players duel it out with their own set of unique moves.

The story in this game is pretty basic, A group called the Teknos is behind chased down by the Hunters, and the Teknos crash land on the planet of Xsarra. In order for the Teknos to extract revenge upon the Hunters, they must conquer the planet of Xsarra, but first they must get rid of the planet scum know as the Arcanes. Now the Arcanes are really Scum, but they are a more primitive people then the Teknos, who are much more technologically advanced. The main story mode consists of strategy gameplay. Each team has a base and starts on one side of the game field. Then they move their units across the field, similar to a game of chess. Once you characters encounter a battle ensues.

Simple, and right to the point. There are 7 characters on each team, and all 7 are completely different and unique. There are also 2 secret characters, one for each team, making a total of 16 playable characters. and 16 maps to play on. (There are normally 14 maps, with 2 secret ones, which makes 16). Each character has 3 moves that associate with a certain button, and some characters can even fly. The gameplay is great, and addicting. For a great experience play the juicer level with all characters against a friend.

Controls: 10/10
The controls are great, simple and easy to learn. You move with the D-Pad or Analog, and you have 3 buttons for attack, and 1 button for jumping/flying. It's as simple as that. The camera in this game is also very intelligent, zooms in when your up close and fighting melee, and zooms out when your far away and shooting projectile attacks at each other.

The graphics look great, all the character models are well done. Especially during combat, everything runs smoothly and looks awesome, the attacks look pretty cool to. However when a character wins, and you see them do a victory dance up close, some of the characters don't look so well, especially Quicksilver, she looks very blocky and messed up up close, but other then that the graphics are great.

The SFX are great, and matched up greatly with each character and sound awesome, the sounds are awesome. I really like Razorfane's blade sounds, and Angel's eye laser sounds.

Music: 7/10
Certain music can get a little repetitive, but the music isn't really the main focus here, in mayhem it's mostly just for background noise, and alot of the time you may not even notice it that much.

Replay Value: 10/10
The replay value in this game is great, not necessarily alone, but with a friend you will be playing non-stop for several hours, you can trust me on that. Me and my friends have certain duels we like to do, like Angel VS Quicksilver, me being Angel and my friend being Quicksilver, because I am an expert at this game (because I own it) My friend try's to beat me with a character that Angel is weak against (Angel is my fav character BTW, check my FAQ for more details). I usually end up winning though, but he does manage to defeat me, especially in certain levels, that are wide open... grrr damn that waterhole, its a death trap for Angel.

Overall: 8.9/10
Because you can't rent this game anymore I am just going to do a Overall section. Basically if you see this game pick it up. It won't cost very much and it will provide you with some long lasting fun. You will also really like this game if you like chess, because you will like the strategic part of the single player.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/16/04