Review by Psycho Penguin

"My god! A good WCW game, on PSX!?!"

Most of the WCW wrestling games on Playstation have sucked. WCW vs the World. WCW Nitro. WCW/nWo Thunder. But good god, when EA Sports got the WCW license, they actually released a... good WCW game for Playstation? Who would have seen that coming? Certainly not me. While I did expect Mayhem to be a decent game, I expected little more than that. I thought to myself, WCW games usually suck on Playstation, why should Mayhem be any different? That's until I actually played it. From the opening cinema (featuring FMVs of half baked WCW wresters) to the victory bell, I was blown away by how good this game was. It isnt perfect (the loading times are terrible) but it is without a shadow of a doubt the best WCW game on playstation, as well as being one of the better wrestling titles ever released, for any console. Revenge and World Tour are better, but Mayhem is great as well!

Graphics (8.9/10): The graphics are really good. The realistic charcater models add a lot to the game, and while there are no enterance videos, the enterances are faitfully recaptured anyways, ranging from Goldberg's grand enterance to Sid Vicious's enterance. The gameplay is fast, the ring looks good, and the lack of motion capture models mean that the collision detection is better than in Attitude or similar games. Great graphics.

Music/Sound (8.7/10): The commentary is actually pretty good, especially considering Fat Tony is doing the commentary. The music that plays in certain places is very good, and the sound effects are above average. The crowd chants were done very well as well. Great music and good commentary.

Gameplay/Control (8.4/10): Well, its a wrestling game. It is a very good game as well. The game moves fast and the moves are very easy to pull off. Instead of memorizing complex button combinations you only need to tap one or two buttons. Finishing moves are easy to pull off, as are every other move in the game. The main selling point of the game is you can battle anywhere, inclduing backstage. Thing is its predetermined location so you dont have complete freedom to go anywhere. Still, great gameplay.

Replay Value: High
Challenge: Medium

Overall (8.3/10): Im actually giving a good score to a WCW Playstation game.. i think i'll go puke now...

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/20/00, Updated 07/16/01