The Cyclops "Gene Hack" guide
For "X-men versus Street Fighter" by Capcom
( rev 1.0 )
Author: Christopher Robin Bayquen
COPYRIGHT 1999 by Author
Email: user01(at)email.com - replace (at) with @
rev 1.0 ( 09/23/98 )
- Date I originally finished this.
- Date I posted it on gamefaqs.com ( 07/09/99 )
*Where to get the latest rev:*
- http://www.gamefaqs.com ( Saturn-Arcade/Fighting/XvsSF-MSHvsSF )
Copyright Notice :
The "Cyclops Gene Hack Guide" FAQ is Copyright (C) 1999 by Author
Christopher Robin Bayquen. You may freely give this FAQ away to anyone you
see fit. As long as the original content stays intact. This guide may not
be used commercially, including but not limited to: published magazines,
guide books, magazine incorporation ( guide included as additional content )
etc, without consent of author. You may post this FAQ on a website as a link
freely. If you wish to actually showcase it, please email me to let me know.
X-men Vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter 2, is owned by CAPCOM (C). X-Men,
Wolverine and all other comic book characters are owned by Marvel (C). All
other copyrights and trademarks not mentioned here are ackonowledged and
Sorry 'bout that. Now on to the FAQ.
Hi ! Welcome to my 2nd FAQ/Guide to the game X-men vs. Street Fighter.
I know the game is old and I should be covering some new stuff. But I liked
this game alot, even more than the 2nd and 3rd installments in the "vs"
series. This time Cyclops is the main guy. I'm sure that with a little
practice, some luck, and this guide (!), you'll be a Cyclops vet in no time.
This guide will be broken up into sections as follows:
I. Cyclops : Who is he, what he does, whats up with those eyes?
II. Regular Moves & Throws
III. Special Moves with descriptions
IV. Super Moves
V. Team Assist Moves
VI. Combo Basics
**as you can see, I pretty much ripped-off my Charlie FAQ.
I. Background and History
The Marvel universe. Weird villains, even weirder heros, and tales of courage
and honor. Cyclops, real name Scott Summers, was a founding member of the
ever popular "X-men" comic series. He was its leader not because of power or
abilities, but for his leadership skills and high sense of ethics.
He is a mutant, or "homo-superior". And mutants are greatly feared by normal
human beings because of their powers. Cyclops has the ability to project
intense beams of energy from his eyes. So strong that it could decapitate a
mountain. But this great power comes with a curse, Cyclops must wear a
special type of lens all the time to contain the massive energies. Where does
Cyclops get all that energy? Solar power of course!
X-men vs Street Fighter seems to be a merge of Marvel Super Heroes and Street
Fighter Alpha. Both great fighting games, but the latter having more strategy
and finess, while MSH being more on speed and combo knowledge.
II. Regular Moves & Throws
£ In this guide, the assigned number will designate punch/kick
£ Joystick motions assume player is facing right.
JP - Jab Punch (1) SP - Strong Punch (2) FP - Fierce Punch (3)
SK - Short Kick (4) FK - Forward Kick (5) RK - Roundhouse Kick (6)
Character Switch / Tag
- Tap ( 3 ) and ( 6 ) together while on the ground
- Your current character poses ( current character becomes invulnerable
at this point ) and your 2nd character flies in with a kick. Your 2nd
character, upon landing, will perform his/her taunt, leaving you
vulnerable for a complete 1 1/2 seconds.
- As you take damage, your health gauge will leave a red "shadow" just
behind the green bar. This is the amount your character can regenerate
if he/she is resting out of the fight.
- Tap D-pad ( Down ) ( Up ) or press 3 kicks together
- When launching your opponent ( C - < 3 > ), pressing ( Up ) will
automatically cancel the fierce punch animation into a super jump.
- tap D-pad ( Forward ) twice, or press 3 punch together
- While Blocking, ram 3 punches repeatedly
- Using the advance guard excessively on a multi hit super move ( i.e.
pushing Gambit's Royal Flush too much ) will break your guard and
cause you to get hit
- While being thrown, hit ( Toward ) + ( 2 ) or ( 3 )
- In other words, throw your enemy the moment he throws you, also keep
trying to tech hit as you fly across the screen when thrown for a
- Counter a block, either you set yourself free before your opponent
throws you ( no damage )
- Or you perform a "safe land", where your character is thrown, but
before you hit the ground your character lands normally, able to block
and avoid OTG combos.( damage is lessened )
- Tech. Hitting is nice for interrupting those cheap-as-hell Sabretooth
launch into SJ combo xx Air throw into Berzerker Claw X, which takes
approximately 1/3 or more of your health bar.
- After a sweep or knock down move, motion ( Down ) and either
( Back or Forward ) + any punch.
- I cant stress on how important rolling is, many people that I have
gone up against use some kind of OTG into Super Move combo. One reason is
because its easy for some nice free hits. But I cant count the
times I've beaten a better player because I was able to roll behind
them while they were still stuck in the Super move animation ( time
for a hurtin' team up super ). Also many corner traps are set up with
OTG combo's, so being alert and rolling out of these situations will
save you the humiliation of watching those nice 15+ hit combos done on
· Cyclops only has variations moves in the air.
- Holding down and hitting either (5) , (3) , (6) while in the air
will perform variations of normal attacks.
- Down ( 5 ) - Hook kick - Chainable in air magic series
- Down ( 3 ) - Clenched Fists - Air Combo Finisher
- Down ( 6 ) - Both legs diagonal down - Air Combo Finisher, excellent
for jump-in attack.
- Perform a Throw by being next to your opponent, then pressing:
( Toward ) + Appropriate Attack
( 5 ) Forward Kick - "Scissor Leg Throw"
- Cyclops grabs and throws opponent with his legs
( 2 ) Medium Punch - "Beam Throw"
- Cyclops grabs and pushes opponent with his eye's beam
( 3 ) Fierce Punch - "Ground Bash" (I made up these names:)
- Cyclops grabs and bashes opponent on the floor
· These throws can be performed in the air as well.
· There is one throw I can't quite figure out w/c button is for. Input?
III. Special Moves
- Motion ( Down ) - ( Forward ) + any punch
- Strength determines damage/delay time ( hard/slow recover+more damage )
- This is the best projectile in the game. It cancels other fireballs and big
chip damage potential. Use this to put the pressure on your opponent.
- Motion ( Forward ) - ( Down ) + any punch
- Can be chained at the end of a ground chain combo.
- Cyclops gets down on all fours and reflects an optic blast on the ground
upwards. Use it to trip opponent or for surprise. Bad recovery delay.
- Motion ( Down ) - ( Away ) + any kick
- Kick strength determines range.
- Cyclops does a little dash hop and kicks his feet at opponent. Er, well you
have to see it to know what I mean, its hard to describe. This is good for
corner pressure and OTG's. Also useful at the end of a combo.
- Motion ( Forward ) - ( Down ) - ( Forward ) + any punch
- Punch Strength determines range.
- Ram the punch buttons after a hit to tack on additional hits.
- Cyclops does an uppercut thingy. This move can be chained in a ground combo
and is useful as a counter against aerial jump-ins. It's also possible to
hit opponents who super jump with this move, because at the end of the Gene
Splice Cyclops fires an optic "burst" upwards.
- Tap ( Forward ) + ( 1 + 4 ) ... continue tapping ( 1+4 )
- This move has Cyclops do an auto-combo on the ground. Nice for grinding
opponents in the corner. Although has small recovery delay at the end.
IV. Super Moves
i. Mega Optic Blast
- Motion ( Down ) - to - ( Forward ) + any 2 punch
- Level 1 Hyper Combo, Ground only.
- Ram punch buttons for extra hits.
- Cyclops lets loose a thick screen wide beam. Chip damage is good when you
ram the buttons. This is a deadly Super since it can be chained in all
sorts of ways.
ii. Guided Optic Beam
- Motion ( Down ) - to - ( Back ) + any 2 punch
- Level 1 Super Move, Air and Ground.
- Cyclops fires a beam which you can guide with the joystick.
- Moderate damage. Most useful at the end of a super jumping combo. Also nice
for frequent fliers like Storm or Magneto.
V. Team Assist Moves
- While blocking, motion ( Away ) - to - ( Down ) + ( 3 + 6 )
- Level 1 Super Meter required
- Partner must still be active ( meaning, hasn't been defeated yet )
- When performed, current character pauses before 2nd character jumps in and
performs a designated special move.
- Very useful for character switch outs without the threat of opponents
hitting you while you taunt. If your character needs to get out of the
fight ( low health ), don't risk it by switching out in front of them.
Instead, wait for them to attack close enough, or within range of your
partners counter move so that they get hit, and you switch characters
· Cyclops does a jab (1) Optic Blast as his counter. Which makes it possible
for you to cancel Ryu or another Cyclops' beam super while you're blocking.
- Motion ( Down ) - to - ( Forward ) + ( 3 + 6 ) while on the ground
- Level 2 Super Meter required
- Partner must still be active ( meaning, hasn't been defeated )
- Much like the Variable Counter, only this time your current character
fires his/her designated Hyper move, then about 1 1/2 seconds later your
partner jumps in and performs their own assigned Hyper move.
- This is like having 2 Super moves done together, only the 2nd is delayed a
little in initiation time. Different partners yield different combinations,
only by experimenting will you find the best most damaging combo.
- This is also useful for safely switching characters out, but beware that if
your opponent manages to hit the character who is coming in, that one will
jump out leaving whoever wasn't hit still fighting, even if that was the
same character who initiated the Team Assist.
· Cyclops does his Mega Optic Blas in a Team Assist
VI. Combo Basics
Legend: S - standing DS - dash standing J - jumping
C - crouching DC - dash crouching SJ - super jumping
xx - cancel into
Magic Series and combos
· Magic Series
[ Zig Zag ]
- Weaker punch/kick can cancel into any stronger punch/kick
- Same strength punch can cancel into same strength kick
- You may skip a button in the series, as long as you still follow the
- ( 1 )( 2 )( 5 )( 6 ) - Skipped ( 4 ) and ( 3 )
- Examples of Zigzag in general:
- ( 1 ) ( 4 ) ( 2 ) ( 5 ) ( 3 ) ( 6 ) - Full Zigzag Magic series.
- ( 1 ) ( 2 ) ( 3 ) - Punch only Zigzag
- DC ( 1 ) ( 5 ) S ( 2 ) - Jab kick and light kick chain into
- Cyclops uses [zigzag] rule both on ground and in air.
· "Air Combo Finishers" are both the strongest punch & kick attacks, that
initiate the flying screen when done. Simply put, when you do an air combo
and end it with a roundhouse kick( 6 ) or fierce punch ( 3 ), the opponent
is knocked away ( either across the screen or directly to the floor ) fast
with the screen following their flying body.
· Remember than any button in the magic series can cancel into a special
move. So it is possible to cancel Cyclops from a standing roundhouse ( 3 )
into another roundhouse (cyclops is the only character able of chaining two
roundhouse kicks') and then into a Mega Optic Blast.
· If in doubt, I strongly recommend referring to "The Complete X-men vs. Street Fighter combo
FAQ" by James Chen http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/6645. He explains in great
detail all aspects of the combo system. Most importantly the Magic Series ( chain combo )
· I will only list a few practical combos that one needs to know and use
· Since the combo system in Xmen vs SF is very adaptable, you can create your
own combinations, below are just some possibilities and tips of how to
concoct your own wild and long combos.
i. Character switch combos
- Any ground combo ending with a sweep can combo into a character switch.
- S ( 1 ) - S ( 4 ) - S ( 5 ) - C ( 6 ) xx ( 3 + 6 )
C ( 4 ) - C ( 5 ) - C ( 6 ) xx ( 3 + 6 )
ii. Launch set-ups
- A launch can cancel into a Super jump by simply tapping up after the launch
connects. Cyclops' launchers are standing medium punch (2) and crouching
forward kick (5).
- S ( 1 ) - S ( 4 ) - S ( 2 ) xx SJ Combo ...
DC( 4 ) - C ( 5 ) xx SJ Combo
iii. Combos into Super Team assist ( Level 2 super meter required )
- Jump in deep with Down ( 6 ) - DS ( 5 ) - S ( 6 ) - S ( 6 ) xx Team Assist
- Jump-in with ( 6 ) -=land=- DS ( 1 ) - S ( 4 ) - S ( 2 ) xx SJ ( 1 )( 4 )
( 2 ) ( 5 ) ( 3 ) ( 6 )
- Jump-in with ( 3 ) -=land=- S ( 4 ) - S ( 5 ) - S ( 6 ) - S ( 6 ) xx
xx Cyclone Kick
v. Combos into super moves
- C ( 3 ) xx Mega Optic Blast
- Since Cyclops' fierce is an optic bullet, simply do a Super as it hits
- S ( 6 ) - S ( 6 ) xx Mega Optic Blast
- You can tack on more hits before the standing roundhouse, but anything
leading up to a standing roundhouse can be buffered into a Super.
- S ( 2 ) [launch] xx ( 1 ) ( 4 ) ( 2 ) ( 5 ) xx Guidable Optic Beam Super
- as you fire off the Super, aim it diagonal forward-down. Then slowly
guide it upwards to follow your opponent. Very impressive combo.
vi. Infinite Combos
- I detest infinites and as a result have not learned any. If you have a
infinite, you can send it in via email and I'll give you credit.
Thanks goes out to the following for their contributions
- For making it possible to legally kick some ass in public without physical
harm. And for constantly breaking the rules and developing wild combo
· James Chen
- For making an awesome FAQ for XvsSF. Your guide helped me get to my current
level of fighting. Also, I would like to thank him for letting me use
terminologies from his FAQ, such as magic series and OTG combos.
- Most complete and up to date FAQ database on the Net
· Thanks to you, especially for taking the time to read this guide. If you
have any insight, comments, suggestions, complaints or if you think I have
not given credit to where it is due. Please feel free to email me and I
will do anything in my power to accommodate you.
-= Y E S ! =-
- Cyclops ( XvsSF - Sega Saturn )