Review by Deku Boy

"Your power booster.."

It has been 8 years since my last review, and now I'm back to continue my series of under-appreciated favorites to give you a fresh perspective. Up today is Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour for the Sony Playstation. As X.U.D. 71 in the game would say with the utmost enthusiasm and excitement..."Yay!".

Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour is a very special game. For a kart-racing fan, this is a solid racer worth checking out. For a fan of the Disney Parks, it is so much more than that. This is my top favorite kart racing game on the market without a doubt. This is why I think so...

Story- The basic story of Walt Disney World: Quest Magical Racing Tour is that Chip & Dale lodged some acorns in the fireworks machine at Walt Disney World. The machine exploded, and split into several pieces scattered throughout the resort. It is up to Chip & Dale and their friends to find all the pieces in time for the big fireworks show. Where of all places did the fireworks machine pieces end up? All of your favorite Disney World rides! This game takes you to The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Autopia, Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Dinosaur, Blizzard Beach, The Rock 'N Roller Coaster, Typhoon Lagoon, Test Track and MGM Studios. There's all sorts of fun to be had at Walt Disney World. The story in kart racers really doesn't matter. This is just as basic as any other, and gets the job done.

Gameplay-10 The most important part of any game in my opinion. This game is a kart racer. You've got your basic kart racing items (homing acorn, dumb-fire acorn, turn everyone into frogs, teacups that spin other racers out, etc which you may recognize as green shell, red shell, lightning bolt, banana, etc) and mechanics (drift to get a boost, drift longer to boost longer). It all comes together in its own charming way. The gameplay and feel of controlling your vehicle is crafted to perfection. It is literally the smoothest, most fluid kart racer I have played. Consistent drifting and boosting is very comfortable and easy to do.

The levels are all very well designed both in accuracy to their real-world counterparts, and as fun levels to drive in. There are various shortcuts to take, which not only give you an advantage in the race, but take you to new locations. This is a bit different from Mario Kart's mushroom over a patch of grass shortcut style. Many of the shortcuts are well hidden and out of the way. One unique feature this game has is the "shortcut rings". In the first 1/3 of the race, there will be 3 rings you can drive through. If you drive through all three, a shortcut will open up in front of you as you pass through the third.

The computer AI is about as annoying as in any kart racer, what with ganging up on you and influx of items always shot at you. Thankfully, this game does have ways you can easily avoid this being an issue. There are 8 "fairies" hidden throughout each level in single player mode. The more fairies you collect, the easier things become. The AI will mess up more, you will get better items, and they will get worse items. The shortcuts are designed in such a way that you can avoid the AI as well.

What you can do in this game:
-Adventure mode: Race through the levels, collect hidden trophies in the levels, collect fairies in the levels, and play through the coin collecting levels. This is the mode where you race the Computer AI and unlock hidden characters.
-Time Trial Mode: Pretty self explanatory. Race through the levels and get the quickest time possible.
- Vs Mode: Race through the levels with one friend, or play the coin collecting levels against one friend. There is no computer AI in this mode. I believe the Dreamcast version has 4 player compatibility.

Sound-10 This game uses authentic music tracks from the rides. I don't think the music itself can be any more fitting for the game. Whether you like the music or not will vary by the person. Disney fans will definitely love it. The voice acting is also very solid. The voices and characters are all in Disney tradition. It sounds like they got the official voice actors for Jimminy Cricket, Chip and Dale. The rest of the sound effects are all very cartoony and like the music and vocie acting, are quite fitting.

Graphics- To be honest, I don't really care what 3D video game graphics look like. You'll have to be the judge on the graphics. The graphics are definitely cartoony to fit with the Disney theme of the game. All of the rides look just as they do in real life. You will pass by a lot of the ride sets and events as if you're really at Disneyland or Disney World. I can tell you that the PC and Sega Dreamcast versions of the game have better graphics than the Playstation one.

Fun Factor-10 As I summed up in the gameplay section of the review, this game is very fun. Kids and adults alike will both have a very good time with it. Adventure, Time Trial and VS mode are all quite fun.

Replay Value-10 I don't think I could ever get tired of playing this game. I've been playing it since it came out back in 2000. It still gets play at least once a month (sometimes much more often) in my Playstation. There's plenty of fun to be had playing vs. with a friend, getting new times in time trials and replaying adventure mode. For those of you looking for more "short-term" replay value, there are 3 characters to unlock by completing certain tasks in adventure mode. For me, if a game is fun or enjoyable, it will certainly get loads of replay.

Overall-10 This game is very good and if you still have your Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PC or Dreamcast I highly recommend you find this gem of a game. You won't regret that you did! This game will appeal to Disney fans, Disney Park fans and the youngsters. Kart racer fans looking for another kart racing game to add to their collections should definitely check it out.

Rent or Buy- Even if I wrote this review ten years ago when it was still rentable I would have said the same thing- Buy it as soon as you can find it.
Thank you for reading my review and happy gaming!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/10

Game Release: Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour (US, 03/23/00)