Review by Lynx111

"My final review for this game...I promise..."

After being severely disappointed with Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, I was planning to sell the game. But before I decided to sell it, I just wanted to play it one more time. However, that time, I actually liked the game! I was surprised, because I used to hate the game with a passion. But, I like it now...

Graphics-Seven out of ten.

The graphics are nothing bad, but nothing to get excited about either. Basically, they're your typical 3-D graphics mixed in with 2-D sprites. As I mentioned before, nothing atrocious, but nothing awesome either. Seven out of ten.

Music-Ten out of ten.

The music is fantastic. Each track fits each theme perfectly, and the tracks are masterpieces. Ten out of ten.

Story-Nine out of ten.

The story is also good as well. It's very cliched, yet, at the same time, it manages to avoid using all cliches altogether. Very impressive, and very well-written. Nine out of ten.

Game play-Seven out of ten.

The game play is pretty good.

In battle, you can use persona, demons that serve you. This is somewhat like Pokemon in my opinion, but this doesn't mean it's bad. You can also use Fusion Spells, magic attacks fused by several magic attacks. While this is directly ripped-off of Chrono Trigger and Suikoden 2, the idea is good, and that is what counts.

Unfortunately, you must constantly find new persona all the time. Meaning if you spent one hour leveling up a persona, then you find out you will need a new one, you can be left understandably pissed. But the characters have average attack strength, so they can sometimes make up for the persona.

The dungeons are complicated, but Atlus made maps to help you. The maps are incredibly easy to follow, but the constant random encounters can sometimes leave you pissed off, especially when following a map, and you are left confused, just wondering where the hell to go. Overall, the game play is pretty decent, I must say. Seven out of ten.

Overall-Ten out of ten.

To buy or to rent?

Although this game is fairly decent, it's certainly not for everyone. The battle system can sometimes easily frustrate players, and make them hate the game. I HIGHLY suggest a rental first to make sure it's your kind of RPG.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/22/01, Updated 09/06/01