Review by KeKeyapo

"GREAT game but HATEFUL at the same time"

When I first started playing this game I was very excited, I was expecting a great bizarre RPG adventure unlike everything I had ever played. And yes, this is indeed a game with a great and different story, cool characters, very nice movie clips and descent graphics.

2D sprites into a 3D world. I just can say that the graphic style is like in Xenogears, although Persona 2 has better resolution and looks more ''clean'' than Xenogears. They´re not the best graphics but they`re not THAT bad either.
The cutscenes are very well done with Anime animation style that fits pretty good the game.

Sounds/Music: 9/10
The most part of the music in this game is really good, specially the ones that use voice samples, they just sound amazing. But there are others that just are ''good''.
The sound effects and the voice acting are very cool too.

Well, like in any other RPG you can explore different locations, talk to people, buy stuff, etc, etc. The usual things you can do in any other RPG.
The battles... oh my, the battles. Well, in the battles you can attack, cast spells, and all that stuff. But the interesting stuff in the battles is the Contact command, with this you can make ''contact'' with the demons and establish really funny conversations or make them anger to the point that they´ll want to finish you. This is a very original characteristic of this game.

The story is one of the best and most original RPG stories that you´ll ever play. Believe me, it has a unique atmosphere that keeps you wanting to know what will happen.
The only bad thing about the story is that it flows REALLY SLOW, but putting that aside is just perfect.

Difficulty: 1/10
This is the VERY annoying part of the game. This would be one of my favorite games if it hasn´t been for the TREMENDOUS difficult that this game has.
The normal battles are TOO much harder than any other RPG I´ve ever played. You´ll find yourself recovering your characters after every single time you confront an enemy, and reviving them very, VERY often.
But the TRULY hard part of this game it´s in the bosses. Man, every single boss it´s SO hard. I think there are final bosses of other games that doesn´t stand the first bosses of this game.
You´ll be trying, and trying, and TRYING,and TRYING,and TRYING,and TRYING,and TRYING,and TRYING TO BEAT THEM!!!!!!!! You´ll find yourself insulting and yelling at the characters like if they could hear you. Well, at least I found myself like that, and I know I´m not the only one.
You´ll be annoyed and frustated after you´ll trie more than 10 times to fight a boss. Oh, and every boos fight take like, 20, 25 minutes to finish.
The difficulty is the only and worst fact of this game, it´s just so hard that REPELS you from playing it. You´ll want to play other game and then after a time come back to Persona 2.

If it wasn´t for the INSANE difficult this game would be great. But overall is a very recommendable game that you must play if you wanna enjoy something different in the RPG genre.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/11/02, Updated 08/11/02