Review by FrozenFusion

"DDR is an excellent way to have fun…and to lose weight."

Dance Dance Revolution was originally an arcade game (and it still is), and it’s now a console game (actually, it’s been a console game for about a year). Now that it’s a console game, you can play at home! Uh…just read my review. Or skim through it.

NOTE: This game is reviewed with the DDR dance mat (Cosmo Interactive), not with the controller. For the controller, see Gameplay.

The graphics, which take place mainly in the background, are pretty good. Even though you probably won’t be paying attention to the background much, you’ll still enjoy the graphics. There’s not much to say about the graphics, but…overall, they’re pretty good.

The sound is pretty much the most important part of DDR besides the gameplay. You pick music tracks for levels, and some songs are faster than others. The faster the song is, more arrows appear faster, making the difficulty level much more challenging. Overall, the sound is pretty good.

Gameplay: 8.5/10

The game’s fun…it has many modes, such as “Game Mode,” “Workout Mode,”, “Lesson Mode,” and “Training Mode.” The Workout Mode lets you input your weight and how many calories you’d like to burn or how long you’d like to play. The game has ratings for how well you hit the arrows (you have to hit the arrow(s) at the exact same time when the arrow on the screen lines up with the pulsating arrow)…the ratings are, Boo, Almost, Good, Great, and Perfect. You pretty much dance to the steps in the game…the dance mat is pretty slippery (in a way; you can slide on it) …even the official Konami mat is the same. You can buy the arcade steel platform for about a thousand dollars…or buy a dance mat for about thirty dollars. Overall, the gameplay is pretty good.

I would recommend NOT playing DDR with a controller. It is VERY boring…you can just mash all the buttons at once and get a lot of Goods, Greats, and Perfects. With a controller, I would give this game a 1/10. Seriously. It’d be that bad.

Overall: 7/10 (averaged, the score is 7.83, but I think the game deserves an 7)

Overall, this game is a great way to have fun and to lose weight. There have been reports about DDR on news programs like ABC News. College students lost weight playing this game. If you want a fun way to lose weight, then buy the mat and this game. I’m playing it for fun, but my mom plays it for…losing weight. And I guess fun. If you want a great game before Sony stops making PSX games, then get this.

If you get a dance mat, then you’ll have more fun and you’ll lose some weight.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/25/01, Updated 07/16/01