Review by The President

"You would want to get the newer version, or the imports. But good for beginners."

DRR has finally gone to American homes, and what I see is that Konami did not make a good choice in picking their songs to bring to America. I know that some songs in DDR suck horribly, but they do have some ones that will get stuck in your head, along with all the ones made by artists that you know, like Michael Jackson, Olivia Newton John, Cubby Checker, etc. (if you don’t know Cubby, he’s the guy who made The Twist.) But they choose song of the worst songs for the home version of DRR ever in America. If you do not know what DDR means, it stands for Dance Dance Revolution, a game where you have a pad of arrows that point up, down, left, and right. You must hit those pads at the same time when you show up on the screen with the gray ones up on the top. They can get very complicated, giving you 1/8 steps, hitting 2 steps at the same time, and holding onto a step while hitting 2 others with your other foot and hand. They have competitions around the globe with just playing this game, and people come from around the world to show off their tricks and flashy moves while hitting every step. There have been several mixes of different songs, and they all have been widely accepted in the arcades in Japan and the US, and along with the homes of Japan. But this is the very first time that a home version of DRR was released in America. As I said in this review already, they did not give America a good enough line-up of songs to satisfy our hunger for DRR at home. With songs like Put your faith in me, Let Them Move, nothing by Captain Jack, and Dub-I-Dub clogging our brains from any rational thought so we can’t turn off the game, we felt that (well, I did) America got gipped. However, we did have some good songs, like Drop the Bomb, Boom Boom Dollar, and Afronova, we did have some songs to dance to. Even with song of these good songs, you will find most of the songs will get a large pile of songs which you will only play if you would like to see if they are hard or not.

Graphics: 5
They look arcade perfect, but that is not much to say here. The graphics do not look good, because you do not need to focus on the graphics when you are playing, and the people waiting in line would most likely watch you instead of the screen. So the graphics look like an early Playstation game, which are not that great when it was released pretty late in the PS1’s life. But the colors look magnificent. They are vibrant and shimmering with plenty of volume......no, wait, that is from a hair coloring commercial. But they are vibrant, but they make you lose your arrows, because they change color with the background, like a chameleon. The people that you pick to dance (you must pick a boy or girl, depending on which player you are, 1 or 2, to dance on the screen) look un-textured and jagged. If you look at them really close, they look like only 100 polygons make them up. The menu screen looks OK, but can you really judge how the game looks by a menu screen? The opening looked all right, but these can’t make up for how the game looks.

Gameplay: 9
This style of dancing/music oriented games is genius, You can get exercise while playing a video game, which has not been used seen a track game for the NES. You get a workout while playing a video game! Amazing! What could video games come up with next!
You play up to 3 songs in normal mode, which is the mode you play in the arcade. But, they added 2 different modes from the arcade, a beginner mode and a non-stop mode. Beginner is all the songs in normal mode but the fancy footwork has been lobotomized, making that even someone who has never even seen this game could pass Paranoia: Dirty Mix. They also make it so you see wear you are stepping, so the dancer is stepping where you are, and not really dancing, as in normal mode. Non-Stop mode is 4 songs with no break, which you cannot choose. They have set ones for you, and a random one, which is, you guessed it, 4 random songs picked by the game. These mixes could be easy or hard, but it also matters what skill level you pick. They range from normal (which is what it is set on) advanced, and expert. Each one has either increased or decreased amounts of times you must gyrate your hips to hit those 1/8 steps and impossible dance steps, making each level a whole new song. You have over 20 songs, but that pales in comparison to 4th or 3rd mix. Though less songs, you will still get the full dancing experience.

Sound: 8
This game revolves around the songs that you listen to, and then play them as a game. However, some of the songs, if they were human, SHOULD BE TAKEN TO A DESERT AND BEATEN WITH A 2 BY 4. How could anyone in the right mind listen to some of these songs? Face it, My Fire is not a song that you would put in DDR USA. Pick Butterfly or Starian, just anything besides some of the songs in this! Even the song Walkie Talkie pales in horribleness to song of the songs in this! But some of the songs are the best in the DRR list of songs. Drop the Bomb, Dynamite Rave, Trip Machine, If You Were Here (a great song by me) and Boom Boom Dollar are songs that have catchy beats, easy lyrics, and fun to dance to. But, the bad still outweigh the good in this catergory, giving when you play non-stop on random a ear drum shattering time.

Fun Factor: 7
Only if you want to have all of the DRR mixes should you have any fun with this game at all, unless you play like me. You get a couple of friends over to play DDR, and to add some challenge, instead of easily beating the songs, they hit you in the back of the kneecaps with large pillows. See if you can beat any song like that. It will also add some excitement to the player, wanting to hit every pad perfectly, and will give the people waiting to play something to besides saying “your gonna lose!” Talk about a fun time. Also, you have a chance for some serious injury, because when you hit then when the jump, the could do a back flip! Great fun, but, if you do not do this, you will tire of this game greatly.

Buy or Rent?
If you do not want to get a mod chip or disk, still do not buy this game. Get the newer, better, more songs and with better quality of them, DDR Konamix. Your feet and kneecaps shall thank you. Oh, and you need a dancing pad to really get the enjoyment out of playing any DDR game. Why would you even want to play with a controller anyway? Though it cost up to 75 dollars with the game+pad, it will be worth it.

Graphics: 5