Review by wolverinefan

"Pretty good card game"

Story
You're at your friends house and it's her birthday. Her gramps gives her a Monster Tray to hold all her monster cards. One of her friends gives her all the monster cards she doesn't have except a Phoenix. You have a Phoenix that your father gave you so you give it to her. As soon as she has all the cards in she vanishes leaving the tray behind. Now you have to collect all the monster cards so you can rescue your friend. Well it isn't the best story but it does work and it gives you a decent reason to collect them all. I give story a 7/10

Control
The control is pretty simple but it make take some time getting use to moving through the windows during a battle. I give control a 9/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
There isn't any voice acting. The sound effects are good and all the sounds seem to fit. The music is very cheery and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I liked the musi but some people might not. I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 8/10

Game play
At first the game play seems complex but it isn't once you learn the rules and how to do all the other stuff. At the start of every battle you must pick a card, if you pick the one with a circle on it you get the first move. You must have your deck ready before you agree to a fight. You can only have three monster cards and 50 other cards. At the start of a battle you have to use some of the cards in your hand to make GUTS, these let you use cards that need GUTS. Not all cards need GUTS. When the other player attacks you, you get the option to use a card to dodge the move. Battles never seem to get boring and they are really fun. Battles last atleast 30 minutes and you'll have to be in a lot of them if you want to get all the cards cause there is a ton of cards to get. I give gameplay a 9/10

Replay Value
The game takes about 40 hours or more to beat and then there is a ton of secrets like a whole new set of monster cards to get. It takes a lot of skill and time to get every card. I don't really see anyone playing all the way through this game again but it is a fun game to pick up and play every now and then after you beat it. I give replay value a 5/10

Final Score
I give Monster Rancher Battle Card: Episode 2 a 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/07

Game Release: Monster Rancher Battle Card: Episode II (US, 07/31/00)