Review by Special Ed

"Slightly disapointing, but still good."

To start this review off, I would like to say that Harvest Moon is my favorite video game series ever. I loved Harvest Moon 64 and I had incredibly high expectations for Back to Nature. I preordered it about 4 months before it was released, and when I finally received it in the mail, I immediately started playing it. After a few hours, I turned off the game. I was angry that Natsume changed the characters' personalities and jobs. I was glad that they added features, but I was still mad. After a while, though, I came to like the game because of the classic Harvest Moon gameplay.

They aren't quite as good as Harvest Moon 64's graphics, but they're still pretty good. The characters look the same as in Harvest Moon 64, but I really don't care.

One word: addictive. In the game, you inherit your grandpa's farm after he dies and you have 3 years to restore the farm, build a family, and to become an important figure in the town. At the end of the 3 years, you will be evaluated on how much money you made, how many friends you made, how many animals you had, and many other factors. The town is a little confusing at first, but eventually it isn't a problem. The game includes many more features, like more house extensions, more tools, more crops and flowers, more characters, more shops, daily routines for the characters, more recipes, 2 mines instead of 1, the option of keeping fish in the pond on your farm, and many others. One thing I really dislike about the game, is that there are annoying loading times, like when you save the game before going to bed. Still, it can't really damage the gameplay very much.

Each season has its own music, but it gets very annoying. The sound effects aren't very good either.

Plot: 6/10
Basically the same as all the other Harvest Moon games.

Pros:
Great gameplay
Good graphics
Tons of stuff to do
Lots of added features

Cons:
Loading times
The repetitive music
Characters personalities were changed from the other games

Buy or Rent: If you're a fan of the series, buy. If you've never played a Harvest Moon game, then you should probably rent it first.

This is a great game. It may not be the best in the series, but it's still one of my favorite games.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/15/01, Updated 11/15/01