Review by Astrojulie

"BTN is a great game! When PROPERLY compared to N64, it's better!"

HM: BTN.

My best friend told me about a great game, Harvest Moon, which she had for N64. I played it at her house and thought it was ok, and as soon as I got home I immediately went on GameFAQS to see if there was a Harvest Moon for PS2 or PS1. The PS1 version seemed better, so I bought it, and nowadays I am calculating how much chicken feed I should get before winter instead of eating lunch in school. HM for Playstation is a great, addictive game.

Controls: 9/10

Most people complain that it’s hard to move your character, the controls are terrible, etc., one person even claimed that “even a video game pro would wander around looking drunk”, but I have to disagree. Greatly disagree. I am not a video game pro, and yet it took less than a half an hour for me to completely understand the controls. Sure there are only 4 directions you can walk in, but really it’s quite easy to get the hang of it. In fact, I find the controls in BTN 10x better than N64. In one day on N64, I was in a fat C crop formation and my horse trapped me in. I tried to cut a crop but cut one diagonal from me, so that didn’t help, and then I had to cut another one to free myself. Then I picked a turnip and ran to the shipping bin, but missed the bin completely. In BTN, I never have problems like these.

Graphics/color: 8/10

Most people say that the graphics are terrible, and everything is poorly colored, most of the time comparing to the N64 (AGAIN!). If they think everything’s poorly colored, there’s a button on the TV where you can adjust the tint! Everything on my TV looks fine; it’s probably their TV! And the graphics aren’t worse than HM64’s, if anything, they’re better! Some people say the graphics really “take away the fun of the game”, but really, there is nothing wrong with the graphics.

Sound/music: 7/10

There are some strong points with the music in BTN! Every season has its own music, which fits it very well; each girl has their own unique music in their cutscenes, which also fits them well, and there’s the town tune. So there’s about 10 music tracks in this game. People say the music “makes their ears bleed”, but I find the music very nice! And once again, they’re usually comparing to N64. The sound is good, too. Someone said that your footsteps get really annoying after a while, but it’s very quite, most of the time I completely forget about his footsteps! All the animal sounds are realistic, and so is the rain, the only problem is when you pick up things, there’s that little “BLIP!” sound which can slightly get on my nerves sometimes. But other than that, the sound is good too.

Game Time: 8/10

If you’re looking for a game that you won’t put down for months, this is the game to get! Each day is about 15 real life minutes, there are 30 days in a month, 4 months in a year, and three years before the game “ends”. So… that’s a lot of time you’ll spend playing!!

Difficulty: 7/10

Like most HM games, BTN has a good difficulty level. You won’t win this game by sleeping on the grass instead of clearing the field! There are a lot of things to do, like getting married, cooking, planting, raising livestock, and befriending villagers, to name a few.

Replayability: 8/10

That’s what is great about HM, even once you beat the game, there are still so many things you can do! You can go for reaching 5 million Gold (the Mineral Village currency), selling 1000 of every crop, or whatever you want to! There are so many things you can go for in HM, that once you beat the game, you can still play for years!!
Buy, or rent?

There is no way that you can beat the game in one rental period, so you should buy this game. One person said “I played this game for an hour, which is more than I should have. I kept telling myself it would get better, but it never got better.” An hour in real life is about 4 days in BTN. You’re not gonna get that much kick out of four days, are you? NO! You should buy this game, and once you get into it, it’s more fun than you could imagine!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/29/02, Updated 11/29/02