Review by AlucardX

"Grab the Whip and the Holy Water, It's time to go back to Castlevania"

I've been a fan of the Castlevania series (hence my name) ever since Nintendo. The series is great fun (yes, even the 64 ones) and each one is a blast to play. Now, with Castlevania Chronicles finally released, old school fans will be in heaven. It's a direct port of one of the first Castlevania games ever, which was only released in Japan on PC. It's great fun, I got it yesterday, been addicted ever since. If you like the old school NES and SNES ones, you'll love this. However, if you don't like the series, this won't change your mind. Otherwise, it's a treat for any fan.

In the game, you play as Simon Belmont of the Belmont clan, and once again, Dracula has risen, only causing havoc. You alone must enter his castle of horrors to put an end to it. Sure, it's like every other old school Castlevania plot, but who cares?

The gameplay still shines in its 2D glory. It's a sidescroller, and puts you in control of Simon, as he works his way through baddies. Your main weapon is the classic Castlevania Whip, and along the way, you can pick up many different sub weapons, such as daggers, holy water and various others. Great old school fun.

The game comes with the original game, an arrange mode that changes various things around, and an interview with one of the series's main producers. It's all very cool.

Now, with the good, comes the bad. One being game length. Sure, it's tough, but if you are a veteran of the series or are an old school gamer used to these types of games, you'll blast through both modes in less than 2 hours. However, it's a good fun challenge. I just wish they could have added in some more gameplay or another game in the series. Another thing is the music skip, if you haven't heard already. In level 2 of arrange mode, there is a couple of skips in the music, it's not that annoying, but it's definitely noticeable.

So, in all, this game is great fun, easily the best 20 bucks I've spent in a while (got it on launch day too). If you are a long time fan of the Castlevania series, make no hesitation to get this ASAP. Anyone looking for a fun challenge should be sure to pick this up too. As with SOTN and other Castlevania titles, you'll play it again and again just for the fun of it. Get this game now, unless you plan to buy Tales of Destiny 2 first.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/11/01, Updated 10/11/01