Review by Vic Rattlehead

"Classic Castlevania"

Castlevania Chronicles is a port of Akumajou Dracula X68000, a Japanese PC and the game was made for it in 1993. It never came to the US and was only playable with an emulator, until Konami finally ported it to Playstation with a few extras. The game is loosely a remake of the original Castlevania with instantly recognizable levels and details.

Graphics: 9
The graphics might look dated to some, and this is an nine year old game, but it still has some of the best graphics. The backgrounds are very detailed, and the animations are up to par with the rest of the series for the most part.

Music: 10
Castlevania games always have had great music and this one is no exception. Most are remixed from previous games but some are original songs that are good too. Also in for the Chronicles port there are arranged songs which sound better than ever such as The Tower of the Dolls.

Control: 7
Maybe I'm just spoiled from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's smooth controls but in Chronicles it seems stiff. What some people might not like is just like in the originals you have to press up to go up and down stairs, I don't mind but people new to the series might be surprised how it's different from Symphony.

Difficulty: 9
This is a little section I make up for most FAQs. Anyway I give it a 9. New players will most likely hate the difficulty. I'd give it a 10 but having played the original X68000 version I have to say it's been watered down a little bit. There is an option to choose the difficulty level in arrange mode for people playing for the first time.

Replay: 8
There is an original and arranged mode to beat and also you unlock a time option to try and finish a level as fast as you can. Also there are difficulty levels for you to choose from so you can go to a higher difficulty after beating the game on a low difficulty.

Buy or rent?
I recommend to buy the game to anyone. It is only $20 and is a classic game to get. Even if you're new to the series or haven't played one before you might like it. At the very least rent it if you've never tried an older Castlevania because some might not like the original style if you've only played the newer ones.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/09/02, Updated 02/09/02