Review by Blind Guardian

"It may be a bit short but it's Castlevania so get it!"

Castlevania, one of my favorite video game series. Ever since I first played Castlevania II: Simon's Quest for the NES, I've been hooked on this series. And now Konami has decided to release this classic in the United States for the first time. So what's it about?

Castlevania Chronicles is the same story as the original Castlevania for the NES. Just like Super Castlevania IV for the SNES, this game is just another re-telling of when Simon Belmont went to destroy the evil Count Dracula for the first time.

In this action packed side scroller you go from level to level hacking your way through monsters like zombies, ghosts, Medusa heads, and more with your trusty whip, you can also pick up sub weapons like the knife, axes, and holy water too.

The Music in this game (as in all Castlevania games) is very interesting. It's dark and progressive and it really helps add a haunting atmosphere to the game.

In this game you can play the original mode or the arranged mode, each with slight differences. You can also change the music, see artwork, read an interview, and unlock a time trial mode too so it has plenty of extras to offer in this game.

The difficulty of the game varies. The original mode can is a bit harder than the arranged mode. In the arranged mode you can select your difficulty and the number of lives you want start with, making it much easier to defeat. But still neither mode is all that difficult if you're use to the Castlevania series, or other action/adventure side scrolling games.

My only problem (which is the same as in Super Castlevania IV) was that it does not take that long to beat both modes in the game. I beat each mode in about 3 hours after playing it on my first day. But this is one of those games that you'll pull out everyone and then when you have a couple of hours to kill.

Overall, this game is another reason to make me think of Castlevania as one of the best video game series ever. Although it takes less time to beat than other Castlevania games like Symphony of the Night, Simon's Quest or Legacy of Darkness, Castlevania Chronicles will provide plenty of action packed hours of fun to anyone. If you can still find it for sale then buy it right away, you won't regret it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/12/02, Updated 07/12/02