Review by KarlZoneX

"A trip back to the old days!"

Review for Castlevania Chronicles for PSX

Castlevania Chronicles is a very worthy edition to any hardcore action/platform game fan. For a person who really wants to get straight to the point and play an action game without sitting through story and text, this is a gold mine! Read on to find out more.

This game is all about gameplay! It has nothing else. If you really enjoy just playing a game without a hassle, you'll like this. The reason it isn't a 10 is for a few reasons. First, the control is kind of funky. It slow, unresponsive, just like you were playing the original... but in a way, isn't that the point? Some people play this purely to get as close to the original as possible... while others want it like some of the newer Castlevania titles. It all depends on what you're looking for! I was hoping for something inbetween, which is why i gave it an 8. The ORIGINAL mode, which is just like the old Japanese computer game, is REALLY hard, while the ARRANGE mode is a lot more
tolerable in difficulty plus new character artwork.

There isn't really a story... but the whole idea behind the series itself is really good.. that is, if you've played them all. If you have, you will be able to appreciate the original as a reference to where it all began. Otherwise, that's it. Dracula is revived... you kill him. It's that simple!

Audio/Video: 7/10
The audio is ok... it could have been better. I enjoy the new music in the ARRANGE mode, but I also enjoy the nostalgia of the music in ORIGINAL. It really makes you feel like you're playing something ancient! (which you are...) The sounds themselves are pretty dull. The graphics aren't awful, but they aren't up to speed with PSX graphics. But once again, this is an old game. What do you expect? Overall, not quite 10 material, not even 9.
I give it a 7.

Replayability: 8/10
Being the game takes only about an hour to beat, you can pretty much play this quite often every day or so and not really get bored with it. Want some quick action? Pick up a whip! Oh, and some holy water. You'll enjoy yourself if you can get good at it!

In the end, it's all about how you look at games. Are you looking for nostalgia? Or are you looking for a NEW castlevania game? If it's the first, then an 8 it is, maybe even higher. If it's the second you're looking for, then I hate to say it, but you're going to dislike it
a lot. Everyone's different!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/29/02, Updated 07/29/02