Review by Rock Man

"VERY good game!"

Some really nice tunes here. I especially like the intro stage and the Gate stages, it also has Dynamo's theme, and the Hunter vs. Hunter theme, which are both INCREDIBLE songs. No really bad songs here. The only MegaMan games with better gaming tewnz are MM2 and MM3.

The gameplay is fast, furious, and fun. Some of the stages are quite tough, also. The bosses are rather easy, though. You must also collect Nightmare Souls, armor, heart tanks, energy tanks, and rescue reploids, all while blasting some Maverick rear. Wielding the late Zero's Z-saber, X is prepared to do all of this, all while trying to find his lost partner, figure out the nightmare problem, and deal with those pesky investigators, led by Gate, a mysterious guy who has apparently found something that allows him to create super powerful reploids.

It's a MegaMan game, why does it need a story? This one does, and a pretty good one, even with the lame Japanese voices narrating it all. You'll want to play just to see what happens to Zero, and who is really in charge of the whole nightmare thing.

Characters: 10/10

Even though Zero may be gone, who needs him? X is an outstanding character, so are Dynamo, Gate, and High Max. High Max just REEKS of badass. Another nice thing are the little chit-chats right before you destroy everyone.

Like this one...

''Brain-washing is boring, don't you think? Let's fight to see who's stronger!''

-Obviously this man is a demented being bent on destroying our pathetic little planet-

Difficulty: 9/10

Most casual players will get quite frustrated. Some experienced players may get a little frustrated with this game, also. The North Pole and Magma stages are pains, but the last 3 levels are cake after you get some experience.

Graphics: For a 2D game, 10/10, but by today's standard 3D games, 8/10.

This has very good graphics, for a 2D game. Some may not like that it's 2D, though. I say screw 3D, 2D owns you. I love the different selection or armors in this game, also. Ultimate Armor and Shadow armor are just too cool.

Replay Value: 10/10

You'll most likely want to play this game over and over, with both characters. You'll probably want to see the other endings, too.

This is a GREAT game. I would recommend it to fans of MegaMan among the non-fans, also. It has everything. Good music, good plot, good characters. Most of all though, it has challenge and great gameplay.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/13/01, Updated 12/13/01