Review by Illumina81

"An Excellent Chapter in the X series"

Greetings everyone! I am an old-school gamer, starting with the Atari 2600, and I have pretty much kept up with the evolution of the gaming industry ever since then. One of my most favorite sagas were the Megaman/Rockman games. Even though the format of all the games is the same this hasn't hindered my enjoyment at all. Just because something is used over again why should that hinder the fun? Personally, I don't agree that something HAS to be different or HAS to be original. I mean, yeah its nice and CAN enhance your gaming experience, but I've encountered that, sometimes, changing something isn't always good.

But anyway, enough of my rambling. On to the review!

GRAPHICS 9/10
I thought the graphics, as always, were excellent. The same, basic design of the MM series can be good or bad depending on the person. For me 2D rocks and always will! I've noticed that some other reviewers have said that the graphics were degraded from the previous installments. I'm not much of a nitpicker so I'm not sure if this is necessarily true or not, but they worked just fine for me.

SOUND 9/10
Honestly, I liked most of the music in this better than most of the tracks in MMX5. This also depends on what type of music an individual prefers. Every piece is appropriate to its area. The music in Commander Yammark's stage is kind of eerie and reminds you of the jungle. I liked Gate's theme as well. I thought the voice acting was pretty neat, and I even came to like the intro song. I think Capcom did a good job here.

STORY 9/10
I did enjoy the story of MMX6. While Zero's return may seem lame to some, in different points of the story it's shown that it isn't quite as simple as that. Some have stated that this chapter in the series didn't really further the story, but I disagree. We are obviously getting closer to the mystery of Light and Wily. Wily's secret virus may be countered and eliminated eventually. So hopefully, the Maverick virus may finally be defeated. I can't wait to discover the truth if they make MMX7. Finally, I thought Gate made a pretty cool villain, and I thought Sigma was hilarious in this(I won't say anymore).

GAMEPLAY 9/10
As always the gameplay is xcellent! There is one special move of Zero's that can be a little annoying but it's only a minor nuisance. And the dash is slightly modified so that it may get you hit occasionally. Other than those little complaints, gameplay is great!

REPLAYABILITY 8/10
Personally, I could never really get tired of playing Megaman. Again, this can vary according to different people's attention spans. I think the game has pretty good replay value. The different difficulty settings, the different kinds of armors, parts, ranking, endings, and of course the Nightmare system. After all, you don't have to get everything in one game.

As a result I give this game a 10/10 even though none of my categories were that high, it is still a great game. Personally, I could not understand some people saying this game was super hard. For one thing if its too hard play it on an easier difficulty setting. Second, I don't think it's any more difficult then most of the Megaman games I have played, especially with the feature of not sending you all the way back to the beginning of a stage even if you use a continue. I am glad I purchased this game and I look forward to Mega Man X7.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/02, Updated 01/22/02