Review by Griever425

"Not so good. Not so bad."

This Harry Potter game has more flaws than...... a thing with a lot of flaws. I definitely DON'T recommend buying this game unless you are EXTREMELY desperate and/or a Harry Potter freak with Potter posters all over your walls and you changed your last name to Potter. Here are my opinions on the not-so-good aspects of the game. (Man, that paragraph was biased.)

The story is kind of weird. It's supposed to follow the book. I'd say only about half of the game follows the story. There are a bunch of added stuff in the game, though. It could definitely be better.

The gameplay is a definite no-no on my list. Anyone can get extremely mad and toss the Playstation out the window into a pit of Teflon-coated spikes after a while of play. I felt like I wanted to lay down and die during the broom-flying and mine cart parts. There is also a mini-game where you collect 17 Famous Witches and Wizards cards which is a pretty good challenge, but frustrating. That's the only thing that kept this area away from a shameful 1/10.

Don't expect this to have beautifully animated magic and realistic scenery. After seeing these graphics, I felt SNES had the PSX pinned down on all sides. The characters have very little or no expression and their mouths move horrendously. The creatures are poor and the camera can never stick in the same or right position for over a few seconds. Pretty much flat sides on everything. It's barely three-dimensional.

Voice Acting: 6/10

Not bad. Probably the best aspect of this game. The people do speak with some enthusiasm and emotion at points. Like I said before, their mouths don't move good at all. It makes Japanese anime mouth movements look very realistic.

Characters: 4/10

The characters are how you would expect them from reading the books or seeing the movie. They do seem kind of boring though. An improvement could have been made there.

Sound/Music: 5/10

Not too shabby. The sound of the magic and doors opening are good along with plants, monsters, shifting bookshelves and more that I can't remember. The music is okay. It could be better, but it doesn't affect the gameplay. Besides, if you can't stand it, you can always turn it off, right?

Controls: 5/10

The controls are okay, but could still be improved upon. Walking around and using magic are easy enough, but the broomstick and mine cart controls are kind of shaky. You will eventually get the hang of it.

Difficulty: 3/10

I'd be lying if I said this game was hard. Because of the short playing time and few puzzles, you can't find this much of a challenge. The Cards and Beans/Passwords mini-games are the toughest things you'll come across.

The game was OK. The controls were a little tough and the graphics stunk, though. This game is insanely short. I don't think I could stress this enough: RENT THIS GAME!!!!!! You will beat it in two days, tops.

I hope this review helped you.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 06/07/02, Updated 06/07/02