Review by andyraymer

"Cool. My favouite book is now a game. But is it up to standards?"

Back when I was 5 and got my PS1, I had never seen a book been turned into a game, but one Christmas, I got this as a gift and I love this game. But quite a few things went wrong.

Graphics 7/10

I have to admit. The graphics are not great. The backgrounds deliver quite crisp and detailed graphics and the ghosts are pretty well done. But when it comes to the characters or close up characters, you really have to be stupid to think these are good. They are quite fuzzy and lines are not straight. The mouths move up and down when they are standing still and it is pretty awkward how the creators of this game thought these were good enough.

Sound 9/10

The sound is actually quite good. The background music fits in quite well with the game and it never really gets repetitive. The sounds of things moving ties in really well with timing and sound. The only thing I didn't like were the ghosts voices. I hated that the makers of the game thought that a ghost should have an echoing voice so that was the only downfall.

Lenght 10/10

This game is actually long! The book took me about 3 hours to read, and this game can take about 10-15 hours if you are trying to get all the secret items and learn the secret Flippendo Duo spell. But if you go through the game and not go for the jellybeans and not collect the secret items, the game length could be a 6 or 7 seeing as it takes about 6-8 hours to beat story mode.

Difficulty 9/10

The difficulty of the game is great. It wasn't too easy and it wasn't impossible. They had a great amount of puzzles that were challenging but not impossible to figure out. The only thing I didn't like about the difficulty was the fact that the final boss was pretty easy and the last few challenges were very hard so it was quite akward.

Gameplay 10/10

The gameplay is very nice and not common. It is the basic moving around the castle collecting items, but the fact that you are going around one area and not going through worlds was a nice new additiong to the world of action/platformers. It was crisp and consistenly entertaining for people of any age!

Suitability 9/10

Okay. I know the game is rated E but it did have moments that can be scary for kids under 8 or even under 10 so this game had moments where the game could have been rated E10+ or even T. I say this game is suitable for people 9+ so use that if you are buying this game and think it might not be suitable. (But it is okay for people 5+ to play!)

Control 10/10

The controls for this game are basic which is a good thing because they never get confusing and they are good for littler kids to get used to.

Rent or Buy

I would say rent if you are 12+ because you might not like it but people 11- should buy this game as it will take a long time to beat and people love to play it over and over again!

The Good: Great sound, great length, great difficulty

The Bad: Bad graphics (for the most part) and can be a little scary!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/05