Review by Larcen Tyler

"A ten dollar game that receives a ten!"

OK when I first heard about this game, I thought to myself, 'A role playing game for ten dollars? You've got to be kidding me!' OK, so maybe I was right, it's not a true role playing game in the veins of Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, but it is still role playing, and it does have something that keeps me hunting for it time and again! It's simple to pick up, but hard to put down! Something I never expected from a game like this!

Alas, the graphics aren't one of the game's bigger qualities. There are some still shots in between your missions, but that's the best you'll see. The dungeons look like generic floors floating in the void of darkness. The characters are rather small like the sprites in RPG Maker, although they have their own animations which are fairly easy to make out, and you can choose from one of eight different palettes when making your character. The monsters appear in the dungeons as 'pawns' which just slide across the dungeon. You only see their true appearances in battle, which is rather blah.

Sounds: 7/10
Although there aren't any character voice overs or effects, the title of each background theme suits it perfectly, like Eyes in Mind, which sounds like something out of a role playing game, 80s Memory, which sounds like a rock theme from the 80s, and a couple others which I can't remember off of the top of my head. Battles are fought with appropriate sound effects depending on what kind of attack each character uses in battle.

Controls: 8/10
You may need some time to adjust to the card system, but once you do, moving your character around the dungeon, grabbing items, and fighting other characters will be second hand news. Another great feature is the ability to play multiplayer with one controller being shared, or a multi-tap if you wish.

Basically, you have your post nuclear war storyline, where scientists are trying to recover old items from the ruins of former buildings in an effort to revive the original technology we had back before the war. The only persons strong enough for these missions are known as Battle Hunters. Simple enough, but what do you expect for a ten dollar game?

Replay: 10/10
The randomizing missions, the things you can unlock, and the multiplayer mode are definitely something that you'll like with this game. Of course, there are some times where if you mess up, you'll either get a game over or lose just about everything you have. Thankfully, up to fifteen characters can be stored in one memory block, and it's a good thing too since you'll be doing a lot of reloading if things don't go right initially. With some practice, though, you'll become an ace hunter in no time!

No person should ever be without this great game, especially with the low price! With a simple storyline and gameplay system that can easily draw you in, you'll definitely want to hunt this game down soon!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/15/01, Updated 08/15/01