Review by Ayalla

"It's all about the multiplayer, baby"

If you don't like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle, or any of its ilk, you probably won't like this game. If you require storyline over fun, you probably won't like this game. If typos hurt your head, you probably won't like this game. And a few of you out there still probably won't like this game.

But it's a GOOD game, ESPECIALLY for ten bucks.

The storyline is something a five year old could have come up with; the graphics aren't shining 3D bastions of technology; the system is so random that sometimes winning a scenario simply requires resetting the console a few times. But WHO CARES?! This game is fun as heck! Multiplayer mode is endlessly captivating, and the ability to control so many aspects of your character makes for immense replay value (trying out different types of characters, playing your characters versus your friends' characters, etc). This is not the newest blockbuster drop dead amazing game that will shatter all preconceptions and introduce you to a whole new level of gaming reality. But it will addict you. And you will love it.

The multiplayer mode will hit you like a bullet train going full speed, and never let you go.

Trust me. Play this game. It's only *ten dollars*, and it'll be hours of fun. Collecting all the backgrounds, and all the other items will keep you hooked for quite a while; multiplayer mode will snag you even longer. The music in this game is not an orchestrated orgasm, but it's good. And in this day and age, when so many games rely so heavily on too-complex and barely believable storylines, or orchestrated music or most often graphics that usually just confuse you and give you a headache, it's a total rarity to see a game that is willing to be fun. So many game companies neglect the fun factor nowadays, making games solely out of eye candy in hopes of attracting more and more people. Remember when only us nerds were into games? When it was a niche market? When game companies could cater to us shamelessly, without fear of market loss? This game will take you back.

The High Points:

-Sprites rather than Polygons
I prefer sprites over polygons. Why? Because with sprites you can get so much more detail, and polygons look totally unnatural. For instance, in the game Final Fantasy VIII, where it looked like people's faces were flat peach panels with features slapped on them. Admittedly, polygons are getting better, but in my opinion, sprites always have been, and always will be, best.

-The Music
There aren't many different BGMs in Battle Hunter, but what there is is good, and I'm always happy to see someone go for quality over quantity.

-The Gameplay
It's confusing. A lot of it's random. But between character creation, and the fun you'll have beating the crap out of other characters, you should have PLENTY of fun to go 'round.

The second I saw this game, I had to have it. I love it. You may not, especially if you're a newcomer to gaming, but for the hardcore oldschoolers and multiplayer lovers, this is your game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/15/01, Updated 08/15/01