Review by HYD

"Disappointing..."

Introduction
Battle Hunter - Disappointing...

Okay. This would be a quick review, so bear with me.
Battle Hunter is just an ordinary game with two interesting aspects. It’s relatively cheap, and could be purchased by the majority of you. On the other hand, its singly one of the most terrible game out there in the market. Sure, it is pretty fun in multiplayer mode. But every single flaw out there weighs it down flat. This game will even make the most hardcore gamer ever cringe at the sight of it. Read on.

SPRITES? GOOD OR BAD?

Used it at the right situation, sprites are pretty cool. And in Battle Hunter, it doesn't really make your eyes sore. It’s the surroundings that do. From first impression, you can easily conclude that little effort has been put in. The backgrounds are basically tiles floating in an endless space. When it comes to your turn, or anybody's turn for that matter of fact, the camera rotates. Sure, it would be cool if the background graphics were awesome. However, this just makes my dizzy.

This game is based on luck. If you're really lucky, you win. It’s that random. The game actually revolves around something that is six-sided with dots all around, also known as the dice. The situation is so complicated, it will take you eons to understand the basic gameplay. To sum everything up, you're tossed into a virtual endless space dimension with unfriendly enemies, you are also equipped with a bunch of worthless cards that have no aid for you whatsoever, and you are also stuck with a dice that determines your life or death.

OKAY...SO WHAT'S THE STORY ABOUT?

A story is supposed to be complex, filled with a couple of interesting plot twists, and is the sole bread and butter for an average RPG game. On the other hand, Battle Hunter's story could even par off with a third-grader's. The only thing I can make sense of is this. You're basically sent to a dimension of weird stuffs, supposedly filled with goodies that you are forced to collect, and when you're done with it, you bring back and sell them. If you managed to acquire this singly important advancement item, you'll be transported to a different dungeon and repeat. I got sick of it after a while.

The replay value is supposed to be high, but I can't judge it. How can I judge something that I can't make any sense of it? The battle system is boring, totally random. The music looks like there was only a 3-minute work effort put into it. The graphics are ancient quality, but I must admit it’s pretty tolerable. And the story is clichéd. Bottom line? Ignore it.

Results
Only play it on your birthday.
Audio: 4/10
What the-?
Replayability: 3/10
Buy Or Rent: Neither.
If you have too much money in your hands, or you simply want to have some risk at getting a multiplayer game, get it by all means. I strongly advise you to ignore it though.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 03/12/03, Updated 03/12/03