Review by SamboSimpson

"Worth $20, But Not Really"

First, a brief disclaimer. Since most of the readers of this review are die-hard Digimaniacs who live on the GameFAQs Digimon World 3 Board, realize I am writing this not as a Digimon fan, but as a fan of games. With that said, Bandai's Digimon World saga hasn't been one of the shining moments in gaming history. Digimon World 1 has been acclaimed by many gamers as one of the worst PS1 games in existance due to its overall lack of plot. Digimon World 2 has been described as ''a Monotonous dungeon crawler'' game. However, the saving grace for both of these games was the monster raising part of both. Without that, well, both DW1 and DW2 would be horribly unplayable.

So why, oh why, did Bandai get rid of the only saving grace of the first two games for the third? The answer: to make for a more straight-forward RPG. And at first, Bandai succeeded. But then again, the fact that the entire Digimon World saga was based around the ''monster raising'' part prevents DW3 from actually being a good RPG''.

You see, the fun of DW2 (and a bit of DW1) was the fact that you could go out and tame any monster you wanted. If you weren't a big Veemon or Agumon fan and liked the more obscure Hagurumon, you could have him in your party. Want Kokatorimon? Catch him (or a Digimon that Digivolves into him) and he's yours! Yet, DW3 rips out the integral part of the previous two Digimon World games and jams three new Digimon, as well as the stars of the first three seasons of the TV show, down the player's throat. But Bandai was nice enough to let the player have a say in the partner process. Don't like Patamon? Well, there's a party that lacks him! Hate Renamon? Well, there's a party that lacks her too! But if you hate both...well...you're going to have to deal with it.

As for the game's actual presentation, let's just say that it shows everyone why this game is only $20.00. The music is alright, but the in-battle graphics are most obviously rip-offs of DW2. And the Marble Madness-esque world map? Well, let's just say that they murdered my eyes until I made the decision to finally turn it off for the day.

What about the story and it's in game elements, you ask? Well, if you're looking for a game that has an original story, this isn't for you. The story is this simple: you want to be the best at Digimon Online. You battle. You win. On the way, you topple an evil organization bent on using Digimon for evil. Yes, that is a rip off of Pokemon Red and Blue you just read. And sadly, that is DW3's story in the most complex terms.

And to tell the truth, even though this game is targetted towards children, I can't think of one that would be able to survive for more than 15 minutes before dying. This has to be one of the most difficult games yet. I mean, as soon as you get to the World Map, the monsters are going to be able to kill your Digimon in one hit. And also, you better know where you are going. Although my game clock says I've been playing for 3 hours, I know it has been at least 4. That's because I lost an entire hour because I made a wrong turn and had all three of my Digimon killed by a Digimon who didn't even let me run away. It's that fun.

Simply put, if $20 isn't too much money and you really really really enjoy Digimon, you've probably already bought this game, to which I can say only ''Too Bad''. If you've never played a DW game before, play DW1 or DW2. I really don't think I can recommend this to anyone.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 06/07/02, Updated 06/07/02