Review by Herugrim

"A HUGE improvement"

Just to let you know a little more about my background. I've played video games my entire life. I played Digimon World 2 about 1/2 way through, and I know quite a bit about Digimon World 1 though I never played it. I watched the entire first two seasons of Digimon, but none of the movies, scattered episodes of the 3rd and 4th series, and I've never played the card game.

I consider this the least important feature of an RPG, but still one that needs to be taken into consideration. The out-of-battle graphics aren't very impressive, but the in-game graphics are very good. Digimon World 2 was entirely 3-d; but in-battle, the digimon where all the same height (for each Digivolution form, i.e. Rookie, Champion, Ultimate, Mega) which resulted in Super Deformed digimon with enlarged heads and feet. The digimon in the game are at least proportional, although compared to each other they are alittle inaccurate with the series. Overall, the graphics balance out in this game, but are still an enormous improvement from the last game (in-battle at least)

Music/Sound: 5/10
The digimon don't have voices in this game(like they did in Digimon World 3). The music has this lighthearted, happy feel to it, which tends to get annoying. One interesting feature it does have is that it plays this very strange music when your Digimon becomes confused, it really adds to the feel that your digimon is indeed confused. Aside of that there really isn't anything very impressive in this game as far as that department is concerned.

This is where the game really shines. The Digimon level up like any other RPG out there(they got rid of that annoying Max Level feature in Digimon World 2). At certain levels, the digimon gains a new digivolution just like in the show. In addition to that, if the right conditions are met, they can obtain other digivolutions that deviate from the normal path. Every digimon can digivolve to every other digimon above Mega, which makes up for the lack of rookies. Battles are done similar to Pokemon where you have one of your digimon battling one opponent at a time(you can also digivolve in the middle of battle in this game, unlike in Digimon World 2). You can tag one of the other two digimon you have with you in at any point during the battle in whatever digivolved form you'd like. If you are taking out a certain digimon, and putting in the right digimon, they can DNA digivolve to score an extra big attack in addition to switching the digimon. Some Digimon can only be seen through DNA Digivolution. There's also blast digivolving, which acts like the trance mode from Final Fantasy IX where your digimon digivolves to their next most powerful form even if you normally couldn't(which is very welcome when you are loosing). The difficulty seems alittle high sometimes, but it's countered with a good money system that allows you to buy a rather large amount of healing items in addition to the normal equipment upgrades. There's even an optional card game, which isn't as complicated or in-detail as the real digimon card game, but it is entertaining and different.

Storyline: 4/10
Yeah, not very impressive here. You are supposed to travel around defeating the leaders from each city to earn their badges(sound familiar). Things get complicated, of course, and you end up in a long drawn out mission. Not too bad, but not very original either.

rent or buy?
If you are a Digimon fan, this is a must have. Otherwise, I would suggest you rent it first. It can be very addicting, but that can vary person to person.

Overall, it's a huge improvement from the last Digimon World Game. They're getting close to replicating the shows Digivolution system, which is a good thing.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/17/03, Updated 03/17/03