Review by justg

"A truly epic story that will draw you in as soon as the game begins"

After playing Final Fantasy V, VI, VII and VIII I would have to say that Final Fantasy VI has been the best of the four. This is a game that will provide hours upon hours of game time as you are immersed in a truly epic story that will draw you in almost as soon as the game begins.

The Good...

The Story...In a world where magic is only a myth, where kings rule and machines are common place, magic has once again surfaced. And some people are not at all happy about this. In this epic roll-playing game from Square you take the rolls of a number of different characters with different stories in order to save the world from the emperor trying to control this magic in order to rule the world. Each of the dozen or more characters has his/her own abilities and history. Some hidden in mystery, others laced with hardship and sorrow.

The Final fantasy mainstay is here once again with plenty of side quests to compliment the immense main story.

The game-play is easy to understand and the Esper/ magic system is easy to understand. Each character can learn magic by having a certain Esper (magic being) attached to them and then beating creatures in battle.

Once again the classic music of the Final Fantasy series is one of the good points.

As an added bonus for the Playstation version new Computer Generated Movies have been added to the game, which are simply spectacular to behold.

The Bad...
The bad for this game is the same as it is for most role-playing games. At times it is annoying to constantly be running into random encounters, but we also realize that is where the experience comes from.

In Conclusion..
It is rare that I complete a game of this length twice, but Final Fantasy VI will be a game that I will return to in the future. It is also one of the few RPGs I have played that I actually played until I got my favorite characters maxed in their levels. With out any reservations this game receives a perfect 10 out of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/12/00, Updated 02/24/01