Review by PWolfstien

"One of the greatest RPG's of all time, re-made on the PSX! But, play it on the PSX2 PLEASE!"

Final Fantasy VI, considered by many as the greatest RPG of all time, and or game for that matter. I had made that assumption for over four years myself, until I finally played Seiken Densetsu 3, Breath of Fire IV, and Final Fantasy IX. Even so, I still love this game, and it's almost impossible to stop playing it, FF VI has that ''special something'' that always keeps me playing and that's what seperates great from good.

(I'm reviewing the Japanese PSX version. Being played on the PSX2 NOT the PSX. I will tell you about the differences though)

-These are beatuifal. I think it's called the SFC ''Mode 6'' confrimation anyone? Well, the character were the best looking FF characters to date, as well as the towns/spells/everything. Which is expected in a sequal ... however FF V didn't take that much of a leap graphically from FFIV as FFVI did with FFV. Well, everything from the characters, to the world map is very impressive indeed. I just loved the world map in this game, I really did. They did a great job on the battle backgrounds as well. This is about as good as it gets on the SFC/SNES. The only game I think that has better graphics is Seiken Densetsu 3/Chrono Trigger. But that can be debated. Either way Squaresoft rules with RPG graphics, and it started with FFVI not VII. Also the FMV's in the PSX version are GOOD. I wish they could have put in a few more here and there, but that's just me ... oh well.

-This IS one of the best soundtracks of all time. Actually it is THE BEST. Just barely beating out BoF IV. The effects/battle music/town music/anything musical that was in this game, simply put ... RULES! If I could recommend ONE soundtrack to buy, it would be FFVI's. Great job Nobuo Uematsu! Everything was good, everything ... WOW! Let's all give Nobuo Uematsu a big round of applause shall we :Starts clapping: :P

-Along with sound, this is THE BEST story of all time. Just barely beating out FFIX and Chrono Trigger. But still, this is the best story. The base of it is it starts out with a girl named Tina Bradford. She has magical powers and the empire wants to use her for their bidding. She has a slave crown put on her head so she will obey the emprie's commands. Well, she's forced to go to the city of Narshe with empire troops and take away an Esper (Tritoch). That's where the story unfolds. And it's a massive one to say the least. The story alone could sell this game, and that says a lot.

-WOW. The battle system rocks! You can equip ''relics'' in this game to help you out in the game. They are basically accessories. You can also use them to combo for really cool combonations. Like Gengi Glove and Offering. That's 8 total hits, and with the Atma Wepon and Illumina Swords on that's MASSIVE DAMAGE! There are many others as well. The way this game is set up is ... you get magics through ''Espers'' they have a certin type of magic such as Tritoch with Fire 3/Ice 3/Bolt 3, and you earn points after battle for the magic's. The spells have a certin ''perfect'' also on how fast you can learn a certin spell. The esper's can also give you stat up's after leveling up! This is a really cool feature because it also allows you to make your characters a certin way. Like I give Lock a lot of power, Setzer a lot of magic up ect. It really gives you some variety. The only characters who can learn magic without espers are Tina, Celes, and Strago. But still, they can't learn that many on their own. Also you can basically have any party you want in this game, it doesn't really matter because you can give characters the stat up's and all the spells you want. Everybody can learn all the spells. Healing/Attacking/Support. That kind of takes away the point of having a certin party but each character does have their own little ''ability'' such as ''Morph'' for Tina, ''Steal'' for Lock, ''Tools'' for Edgar, ect. So you can think of it that way. The challenge is pretty easy, it's nowhere near as hard as FFIV, and it's not as hard as FFV either. But if you don't level up a lot and learn basic spells you'll have a tough time (obviously). So, I guess you could say someone real lazy wouldn't want to play this game, and you'd have to be pretty damn lazy not to play this game! Oh, you can also use the esper's as Summons. I forgot to point that out. They look cool too!

Now onto the problem I had with the PSX version of FFVI played on the PSX ... it was . . . . . . . . SLOW. Laggy. Slowdown. It had it all. Luckly, this is not a problem for the PSX2. When you play this one the PSX2 it pretty much takes all of the slowdown away.

You also have a few extra things you can do in the PSX version of FFVI. I won't go into detail but you can view game cinema's ect, and look at monster stat's as well.

Conclusion: This game will go down in history as one of the best games ever made, and it DESERVES that. If you like RPG's at all, then play this game. It has great graphics, story, sound, and gameplay. The PSX version has a few FMV's and extra mode's as well. This was a GOTY as well. It's a MUST HAVE for all RPG fans!

Highly Recommended with a star rating of ***** (out of 5)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/24/00, Updated 10/24/00